There are different species of fleas, so very often become the “true friends” of your pet potentially transmitting diseases and other parasites. That is why it is necessary to get rid of them as soon as it possible. How exactly do this? This article presents good and modern ways to get rid of fleas and reduce suffering for your pet.
The most common way we can protect dogs is to use some commercial products against fleas, but often they contain chemicals that can be harmful for both the pet and the owner. Fleas can live in the blood of birds and animals. Also, it I known that fleas can move from dogs to humans.
Of course, you can ask a veterinarian for some medical treatment that will be applied directly to the skin of the pet to kill fleas on dogs fast. But note that just because a product is "topical" it does not mean that it is effective too. It is essential to use a flea product that is authorized to kill fleas, in other words, it must be proven by veterinarians.
The most common signs and symptoms of fleas on dogs is the fact that your pet has fleas when your dog tries to bite the skin. However it is important to figure out if the itching is being caused by flea bites. For that, you should brush him, check his skin, hair and brush too. If there are fleas, you will notice small black spots on the skin or fur.
If you moisten these spots, they will turn red, as are the flea feces containing blood (the same feeding). If you recognize these black spots as "flea eggs" on your dog, then it's time to take it to the vet to give him a special bath and appropriate treatment to exterminate these pesky parasites.
If you have any questions, talk to the specialist. Make sure the product you choose is not harmful for your pet. Some common flea medications for dogs’ treatment are:
- Permethrin. Many products for dogs contain only permethrin or in combination with other drugs to effective treatment. Its use is not safe for all pets and can cause health problems in case of wrong dosage of medication.
- Imidacloprid and pyriproxyfen (known as Advantage II). This product kills fleas in all stages of life. A product with a similar name Advantix II is a product only for dogs. It contains permethrin, which is harmful for cats.
- Selamectin (known as Revolution). Must be applied once a month. It also kills ticks, heartworm, ear mites and sarcoptic mites.
Be careful with the chemicals you use. A product like Advantage (manufactured by Bayer) contains neonicotinoids, which have serious impacts on the environment.
But here we have also a small list of natural remedies against dogs fleas that work very well and they are less dangerous. To get rid of fleas on your dog with home remedies you will need.
- Apple vinegar
- A lemon
- A sprinkler
- A comb
- Mix a 1/3 of apple vinegar with a 2/3 of water. After applying the shampoo, rinse a fur and spares this mixture on your dog. Remove an excess of water and dry your dog with a towel. Does vinegar kill fleas on dogs? Not exactly, but its smell will not last long and keep fleas away.
- Place small portions of garlic in the food of your dog. But does garlic kill fleas on dogs? Some will recommend you do not use it, but is not only a good remedy against fleas; it also helps in curing other illnesses.
- Cut a lemon and add it in water (230 cc of water). Place this mixture into a clean plastic spray; than spray it on the dog's fur. You need to brush it if your dog has long hair. This will smell fresh for you, but fleas will not like the smell.
- If your pet is constantly itching and scratching, take them out of their misery and get yourself a flea comb to help with immediate relief. Its “teeth” are located very close to each other and trap fleas as you comb. Dip the comb in a bowl of soapy water to remove fleas and continue combing. You can also add a few drops of lavender oil in this container.
READ ALSO: Seven animals able to predict the future
- Scent of lavender will repel fleas on dogs too. You can add several drops of lavender essential oil in the bottle of shampoo of your dog or water you use to bathe him. Be careful and do not put the oil in the dog's eyes occasionally. Mix in a spray 230 cc of water with a few drops of lavender oil. Apply it on the dog's fur after bathing or dry hair and repeat the same procedure every two days until you see the result.
- To remove a severe flea infestation, bathe your dog with detergent. Foam will fill its whole fur, so let it soak for several minutes. Rinse the dog exceptionally well to remove any trace of detergent.
- READ ALSO: Why did a woman die after sex with a monkey?