Dogs` owners often indulge pets with something they eat themselves. A slice of bread is often becomes such a treat. Can we feed our dogs with bread? Is bread bad for dogs? Continue reading the article to get to know more information.
Some dogs like bread in its pure form; for the others it is enough to dip it into something delicious like sour cream or meat sauce. However a few people think about the fact whether bread good for dog. It is assumed that everything that people eat is beneficial for dogs. Is it true?
Bread contains many vitamins and minerals that are useful for animals. Please always keep in mind that bread for the dog must never contain yeast. Yeast, soda and other additives which are contained in the ordinary bread adversely affect the dog intestine, causing flatulence and constipation.
Many dog owners do not know what kind of bread would be more useful for their dogs – wheat or rye. It is always better to buy rye bread for a dog, because it contains more lysine. It is an essential acid, responsible for tissue growth and bones strengthening. It also improves heart function and the immune system of the dog. That is why this bread will be doubly beneficial for your beloved pet.
Dogs are real predators. A predator has one special feature of its digestive system. While there is no starchy food in its diet, saliva contains no digestive enzymes. However, as soon as the dog receives bread, the cells of the salivary glands start to actively secrete amylolytic enzymes that can break down carbohydrates.
Why dogs should not be given plenty of bread?
First of all, bread is a source of carbohydrates. As an owner, you should always control the amount of carbohydrate in dog`s everyday diet. This is especially true for those pets that have little activeness during walks, for example, due to advanced age or various diseases.
That is why bread is not the best product for dogs, especially if their diet already contains carbohydrates in the form of cereals. Veterinarians also strictly prohibit feeding dogs with fresh bread because the yeast stimulates the fermentation effect. This can change the microbial flora in the gut of the animal.
In addition, in the stomach of a predator the soft bread turns into a paste. It spoils dog`s food tract. For the same reason, you should not feed your dog with pancakes, pasta and other flour products.
Which bread is not bad for dogs?
You can feed your dog with stale black bread in the form of a rusk or a cracker. They can be given to your dog as a treat. But do not forget that you must always control your dog's weight. Crackers from rye bread can be a great help in certain situations.
For example, if your dogs behave well during your walk you can always treat him with a rusk.
Crackers can also be a good remedy for idleness, which can take a dog for a while. A crust of black bread can also help to replace a dog`s toothbrush, removing plaque, which forms tartar.
A list of products that you must never feed your dog with
Having talked about bread, we should certainly give you a list of other products that can be very harmful for your dog. Please note that if you stop feeding your dog with bread, but you continue giving your pet any products from the list below, it will be totally senseless. Therefore, please study the list carefully and make right conclusions.
- Avocado. The seeds, leaves, fruits and bark of avocado contain persin, which causes vomiting and diarrhea.
- Alcoholic beverages. Never give alcohol to dogs. The results: intoxication, coma or death.
- Broccoli. This product is very toxic when used in large quantities.
- Grapes and currants. These products contain poorly studied toxin that is able to cause damage to kidneys.
- Vitamins for people (with iron). They injure the mucous membrane of the digestive tract, and make a toxic effect on other organs, including kidneys and liver.
- Mushrooms. They can contain toxins that can cause shock and death.
- Fat. This product causes pancreatitis.
- Potatoes and tomatoes. These products cause diarrhea.
- Bones of fish, birds and large animals. They are the cause of rupture of the digestive system.
- Nutmeg. It affects the nervous and digestive system, and muscles of the animal.
- Raw meat. The raw meat may contain Salmonella, which causes vomiting, diarrhea and other troubles. This does not mean that you cannot feed your dog with raw meat. It just should be cooked properly.
- Fish (raw, canned and cooked). If you feed your dog with fish in large quantities, it will necessarily lead to the loss of vitamin B and loss of appetite.
- Sweets. Never give sweets to your dog. It entails obesity, tooth decay, and diabetes.
- Hop. Hop`s components can cause shortness of breath, fever, rapid pulse, convulsions and even death.
- Persimmon. The seeds of this fruit can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.
- Garlic and onions contain disulfide, which adversely affect the red blood cells that contribute to the development of anemia.
- Coffee, tea, and other sources of caffeine. Products containing the theobromine and caffeine can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and be toxic to the nervous system and heart.
- Raw eggs. Contain an enzyme that depresses normal absorption of vitamin B, which can lead to fur and skin problems.
We realize that it is very hard for a man to ignore the pitiful sight of a dog, looking up at you when you eat something tasty from the list above. However, try to refrain from feeding your dog with the above-mention products. Some of them (eggs, meat, etc.) should always be cooked appropriately. When your dog begs, give him nothing while you eat. Otherwise, even if you feed your dog once during his psychological pressure on you, you risk raising a real beggar.
- READ ALSO: Why dogs eat grass?