Diarrhea is a common disease in dogs. Its reasons can be very different. Your pet might eat something wrong, or it already has a critical illness. What does blood in dog's stool mean? Continue reading the article to get more information.
Blood in dog's stool is an alarming signal, especially if these symptoms lead to blood in dog's stool. The symptoms are:
- General weakness, lethargy
- High temperature
- Significant weight loss
In this case, you should visit the vet for a consultation. The doctor will make all the necessary tests and determine the cause of the illness. If diarrhea with blood is not a short-term phenomenon, you must not ignore it.
What does the color of blood in dog's stool mean?
- Black stool indicates a high internal bleeding caused by invasions, the plagues, mechanical damages, and so on
- Slimy and watery stool with foul-smelling is a direct sign of infection
- Yellow or gray stool indicates inflammation of the digestive tract
- White stool shows some liver problems caused by either leptospirosis or toxic poisoning
- Dog’s stomach is very sensitive to food. Thus, your pet`s nutrition should be balanced, mineralized, and contain enough protein. The presence in the diet of dry food mainly can cause bloody diarrhea and vomiting because of toxic effects on the liver and irritation of the intestinal wall
READ ALSO: Is heartworm contagious?
Causes of blood in dog's stool
There are many negative factors adversely affecting the digestive tract of dogs. The main reasons that cause blood in dog's stool are:
- Various mechanical damages to the stomach wall and intestine. These are different solid objects such as splinters, sharp stones, and small toys
- Different erosion of the gastrointestinal tract, enteritis, ulcer, colitis. Ulcers on the mucous membrane of the intestinal walls become inflamed and start bleeding. Therefore, the food that falls into them causes further inflammation and festering phenomenon, accompanied by severe rectal bleeding
- Damage to the rectum and anus caused by bones, accidents, injuries and the like
- Leptospirosis. It is a very dangerous disease. Please keep in mind that if you have found this infection in your dog, try to isolate it from children immediately. Always use precautions until your dog recovers. Bacteria affect the liver, spleen, and kidney, causing fever, muscle spasms, enlarged liver, vomiting, and diarrhea with blood
- Sarcocystis is the most common disease in dogs. It is localized in the heart, liver, and muscles. This condition is also dangerous to humans. It usually occurs in animals without symptoms, but vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy, and blood in dog`s stool are possible
- Tumors in the intestine cause discomfort, pain, and vomiting. When it sprouts into the gut, neoplasms severely damages its walls and, in addition to bloody diarrhea, can lead to peritonitis due to the violation of the integrity of the intestinal walls
Diarrhea is a common occurrence in dogs and puppies. It is caused by various factors. However, if there is blood in dog's stool, you should visit the veterinarian to detect the disease. After a series of tests and studies, the expert will appoint an appropriate course of treatment for your pet. In order not to miss the warning signs of various diseases, you should monitor your pet's behavior and the functioning of all vital processes in its organism.
- READ ALSO: Is bread bad for dogs?