Unfortunately Nigeria is known worldwide for its online scams. Find out about the top five of the scammers from this country.
There are many different problems in Nigeria. However, even much more of them have appeared with the advent of the Internet. You have probably heard about the issue called Nigerian scammer. Such type of people has become known worldwide. So, let’s observe the issue in details.
Who is Nigerian scammer?The term originates from the word scam, which usually denotes various kinds of fraud and dishonest schemes. Thus, scammers are those people, who perpetrate a scam. They are often called swindlers. They make use of deceit in order to reach their goals. Fraud in Nigeriais thought to be a common case; however, the most widespread is online one.
Types of Nigerian scams
Before we may start talking about internet fraud and other connected things, it is essential to look at the most common types of scams. Remember that every person can face them, that’s why it is vital to be attentive and distinguish the possible kinds. They are:
Bad investment. Such type usually involves particular products or firms with high risks. Special artists assure investors that it is a profitable deal without any dangers. The biggest sigh of fraud is a promise of good returns. Do not forget, they are always accompanied by risks. And if someone tries to convince you of the opposite – s/he is probably a swindler.
Identity Theft. It is mostly widespread in the USA. Such scammers steel a person’s ID and use it for various purposes. For example, it might be applied for tax fraud, online purchases, crime, and so on.
Soft. The key thing about them is that they are really difficult to detect. We usually notice them when it is too late. The fraudsters misrepresent genuine companies or products. They exist in reality, but con artists add some artificial detail to make them more attractive than they are in reality.
Hard. This is close to the previous one, but they represent nonexistent companies or products. Fraudsters usually find potential investors. It often looks very true to life, like a real business.
Internet scam. As the Internet gets more and more available, this kind becomes more frequent and widespread. It especially concerns Nigeria. There is large number of possible varieties from hacking to steeling personal data and fake websites. To avoid it, first, never download anything from the unreliable resources. It is also advisable not to open emails from unknown senders and never give any personal information on the Internet and via social networks.
Affinity. It concerns ethnic or religious groups of people. Con artists usually pretend to belong to the similar group as you do.
Pyramid. This type involves continuous recruitment of new investors. The one must pay fee to join. Then, for every new member you can also get a small amount of money. Thus, it works until there are members to join.
These are the most common existing types, which are very widespread in Nigeria and abroad.
In order to avoid Internet fraud, you need to be able to distinguish it. So, it is obviously a fraud, if:
- you are going to buy something on the Internet and a seller asks you to pay through any resource that is impossible to trace (for instance, Western Union) – it can be fraud,
- you take part in an online auction and see that a person gives you a picture from the other source and it does not correspond to the features of a product – it is obviously a liar,
- you see too low price of any expensive product,
- you get disembodied links and there is nothing except them in letters,
- you get a letter from any unknown address,
- you get a message from some company and something is wrong with grammar or spelling,
- there are information requests in the letter from schools, banks, etc.,
- someone promises you will get money,
- emails have too urgent content.
Dating scam letters
This is another subtype of Internet fraud. You should be very careful while chatting on the dating sites. Thus, pay attention to the following signs:
- Confession before real meeting. Of course, sometimes people may have a distant relations, however, in most cases, if you have not seen a person and s/he says about love – it is a liar. Do not forget, that to live a person you must know not only his or her character, but also the physical features. Otherwise, it is hard to talk about love honestly.
- Avoiding questions. When you ask about appearance or job and get no answers or they are too vague – it might be a fraudster.
- Money issue. If a person often asks you about money (especially when you have just met) – it is a bad sign. The same thing is when s/he constantly talks about his or her large income. Normal people would like to be loved for who they are and not for what they have. A good guy or girl will never ask to borrow money, as they are not looking for any profit.
- Fake picture. Ask to send a photo via email. If it is the same as in profile, it is not real.
- Too fast. It is almost the same as love confession. If you see phrases that seem too much, be careful.
- Going offline. Scammers prefer to use emails, because dating websites can detect them as all accounts are being checked.
- No meeting. If a person avoids any possibility to see you and always tries to find a reason, it is a scammer.
Now you know about the signs of various types of Internet scam and can save your reputation and money.
Nigerian scammer list
Living in Nigeria, you have probably heard about these people. Let’s observe the list:
- Yahoo boys. There are 5 boys, who have studies Information Technologies in Kuala Lumpur. In summer this year, they were arrested for almost N130 million Internet fraud. The police withdrew five laptops, 20 hand phones, ATM cards, SIM cards and documents applied to scam their victims by means of email, SMS, and so on. The victims must have followed certain procedure to get a money prize.
- Nigerian 419. It is internationally known scheme. They send fraudulent proposals. They may offer currency exchange, estate purchases, funding, etc. There is even a special community of people in Nigeria, who try to fight them.
- Emmanuel Nwude. He has been very famous since the late 90s. He is a former Director of Union Bank of Nigeria. The most glaring example of his actions appeared when he defrauded a big sum of money (about $240 million) from a Brazilian man.
- Olayinka Ilumsa Sunmola. He was pretending to be retired military man and was engaged in online romance scam (by asking money from the victims). He stole photos and data from real people. Last year he was finally arrested in the UK.
- Olukade Kehinde Martins. He is a Nigerian, who has been pretending to be a white woman. He has said to a Ukrainian businessman ‘she’ is a permanent US resident in Nigeria and needs money. However, the entrepreneur managed to distinguish the fraud, when scammer sent his personal data for transaction.
There are plenty of people, who do illegal things in order to get money. You must be very careful, especially on the Internet. Fraudsters can use your personal information, credit cards, and many other things. Always pay attention to the warning signs. They will allow you to avoid terrible consequences. Besides, it’s essential to keep to certain rules while chatting via network. Thus, all you data and money will be all right.
READ ALSO: BREAKING SCAM: Okonjo-Iweala Spent $2.