In the past twins were considered an evil in Nigeria. However, today women wish to have them. Learn what to do to have twins.
Twins are amazing. There was a time in the history of Nigeria, when twins were killed and believed to be evil. Mary Slessor was the lady who stopped the killing of such babies in this country. You may read about it more here. Now the question is how to conceive twins. Can you really do something to boost your chances of getting two babies instead of one?
Let’s get more info and fun facts on twins and their development in the mother’s womb to get the answer. Here are several amazing facts on these amazing people:
- Identical twin form from a mono zygote (one female egg and one sperm cell)
- They get formed during the first week of pregnancy
- The twins can develop rather independently in the womb (having separate placenta). This happens when they are formed on the 2nd day of pregnancy.
- They can share the placenta, if they get formed later (4-6 days of pregnancy)
- In our days twins are born more often (your chances boosted by 30 percent!)
- Moms of twins live a longer life than those of regular kids
- Mothers of 30+ years of age have higher chances of delivering twins
- The fingerprints of twins are not identical (even if the DNA is)
- Only 1 in 250 pregnancies produces the identical twins
- The lowest number of twins is born in China
- Oyo State has the largest number of twins in the world
These facts are fun and amazing. But what do you do trying to conceive twins? These following pregnancy tips would help you to do all you can to get the double portion of parental happiness.
READ ALSO: Who stopped the killing of twins in Nigeria?
- Eat dairy products
Actually consuming milk and other dairy products can boost your chances of having twins by five times! Vegan women rarely have twins and that’s a scientifically proven fact. So, if you are planning a pregnancy, start preparing for it ahead of time. Change your diet at least several months before the conception.
- Take folic acid
Australians have carried out the tests and discovered that consuming folic acid prior to pregnancy boosts the chances of having twins by one third. In any case doctors recommend pregnant women to take this acid during the first three months. But you may start taking it a month or two prior to pregnancy to attain your goal.
- Get some curves
Scientists have also discovered that women with more pounds on them have more chances of delivering twins. So, being fit and thin has its disadvantages, while being curvy and slightly overweight is good for bearing twins.
- Take fertility drugs
They stimulate the production of eggs in ovaries. It is known that women taking such drugs conceived more than 2 twins at a time. However, such drugs should be prescribed and administered by your doctor. Do not attempt to do it in a DIY fashion.
- Eat yam
The good news is Nigeria has plenty of such food to offer. It contains so called phytoestrogen. This hormone boosts female fertility and naturally leads to having more twins born.
These tips on how to conceive twins would also be useful for any kind of pregnancy. They can work if you feel like you have trouble in this area. Or if you just want to get a healthy baby.