How long do cosmetics last?
Here's a list of commonly used cosmetics and their expected shelf life,
1. Mascara - will usually last 2 months or when the label is worn off, it clumps, specks, or becomes dry or smells bad
2. Foundation - has a shelf life of 18-24 months.
3. Powder - Expect 2 years unless it becomes dry or has an odor other than its original fragrance. You can protect your powder from contamination by being sure to change your sponge or powder puff after every application. Sponges are a haven for breeding bacteria and the fastest way to pass on germs.
4. Lip Pencils -1 year- Always dip in alcohol-kills germs
5. Eye pencils -Typically 3 months. Always sharpen or dip in alcohol after each use. Either of these methods will kill germs.
6. Eye Shadow and Blush - dry, loss of pigment. Always wipe off with alcohol
7. Brushes - When your brushes start to look like fans and the tips become colored. Keep brushes clean with brush cleaner or alcohol. I use alcohol for sterilizing my brushes and applicators. Use an alcohol with a strength of 90%. To clean brushes use a good brush cleaner. You can use soap and water but soap and water has a tendency to dry out brush bristles and reduce the longevity of your brushes.
TIP* Put a small piece of tape on the back of containers, and record the date you purchased it. This will assure that you will not use after the recommend expiration date.
"Sanitation is the most important process we, as Makeup and Hair artists, must implement if we are to keep our makeup, brushes and kits germ free. As working artists, we are constantly moving from face to face and head to head. The opportunities we have to pass germs and viruses from person to person are numerous. Therefore it is our responsibility to safeguard our clients and practice diligent sanitation techniques. By doing so we set a standard of excellence that goes far beyond just doing great makeup and hair!