Wish to have something nice and in genuine Nigerian style? Try Fulani earrings handcrafted and make out of gold or silver.
The Fulani earrings history begins in West Africa, where Fulani lives. Fulani are the nomadic people, which have influence in regional policy, economy, and history in the Western Africa for more than one thousand years. The women of this tribe pay special attention to their jewelry. Fulani earrings are the most popular and impressive kind of it. They are also a symbol of wealth. Want to make one? Let’s go!
Instructions of making Fulani hoop earrings
To create beautiful earrings, follow the steps:
- Your workplace has to be well lit. Before making your earrings, do not forget to take safety clothes on so not to burn.
- Use an ingot of metal that is about 3 inches long and half an inch wide. Heat the ingot and start knocking on it with hammer. Continue until you reach desirable thickness. The thickness shouldn't be identical because it is a handwork.
- Use a chisel to make the channel along the material. On the other side of material, make the same channel that is perpendicular to previous one. The channels should divide the peace of metal into 4 parts.
- Then place one edge of the material on an anvil and gradually smooth it. You should achieve a curved form of substance. It has to remind a petal from a flower. You can also use a welding hammer to create the shape.
- Start to create a ring. Heat the end of your accessories and make a long narrow strip. It should be about a quarter of millimeter thick. On the other end, make the same.
- Take flat-nose pliers and create a ring.
- Your Fulani tribal earrings are almost ready! You should only hammer the end of the ring and turn it into a hook to keep your jewelry on the ear.
Some tips about making African Fulani earrings
Consider the following:
- It is almost impossible to create two absolutely identical earrings.
- Don't try to achieve full perfection, just enjoy the process.
- In the production of earrings, it is better to use gold. It is the most flexible material. However, if it is too expensive for you, use a gold alloy with zinc, copper, silver and other different materials.
Process of production of Fulani earrings is very long and tiresome, but it is worth it. Now, when you know all rules of making earrings, you can start the matter. Become the owner of this attractive kind of jewelry. Good luck!