Life changes and the old tattoos may not be wanted on your body anymore. Find out how to get rid of them.
Tattoo culture is one of the most ancient ones. It appeared about 5 000 years ago. The meaning of tattoo has been changing. At the beginning of its way tattoo was just the symbol of the tribe or family. Nowadays many people, especially young ones, make tattoos just for fun. “Can tattoos be removed?” is one the most popular questions asked by users of forums and chats. The importance of tattoo art has decreased as well as the amount of cases when tattoos are made without proper thinking. That is why new tattoo removal methods are so popular among people of all ages. Some people want to get rid of the mistakes of the youth, the others just begin to dislike their tattoos.
Tattoo removal methods
As soon as the level of demand has increased, the level of offer has done the same. Over a hundred years ago, the most common way of removing tattoos was cutting a piece of skin from body surface. Nowadays the methods are much more humane.
The most common methods nowadays
- Camouflage is a way of hiding an old tattoo by injection of new color, which is very similar to natural skin color. This method has a lot of pros and cons. The first advantage is the price. It costs the same as another tattoo because it is not a surgery method of removal. The main drawback is that this method is appropriate only for small tattoos. It is impossible to cover a huge painting.
- Skin excision is an old method. The biggest disadvantage is scars, which are left on the skin. Therefore, this way is not definitely the best one for the open skin surface.
- Cryosurgery is a very painful method. Cloth soaked with liquid nitrogen and put on the place with the tattoo. After some time, the skin gets deeply frozen. Then a big bubble appears on the tattoo and in a few days, it dries out and falls off. Under this bubble there will be a pink scar made of new skin. Then it becomes paler and less noticeable. The main drawbacks of this way are duration and painfulness.
- Electrocoagulation seems to be not a very modern method. It uses electricity to have effect on your tattoo. As in the cryo method, there are scars that start to become paler and after a while, they get almost unnoticeable. There are some possible risks related if the surgeon is not very experienced. They can leave some scars after burning. These are more difficult to get rid of.
- Dermabrasion is a way of tattoo removal with the help of diamond polishing technology. This procedure takes long time and demands a few visits. Its point is cutting off the skin layers one by one until the tattoo finally disappears. The main disadvantage is the danger of leaving scars on the skin, which are very difficult to get rid of.
- Laser tattoo removal is the most effective but also the most expensive method. Modern lasers can remove a tattoo during one visit by influencing different skin layers. This method rarely leaves any scars and its only drawback is the price.
READ ALSO: Scar Removal – 5 best methods in Nigeria.
Pieces of advice
If you want to know how to remove tattoo you should be ready for a complicated procedure, whatever method you choose.
- skin diseases,
- heart or vascular diseases,
The worst methods
- Different gels, including “Tattoo remover” gel. It is put under the skin using tattoo machine. Gel must remove the inks and make your skin clear. Actually it works as an acid and can leave a lot of scars with almost no removal effect.
- Incorrect lasers that are not appropriate for tattoo removal. There is only one laser that can remove tattoos. It is called neodymium laser. The other ones have too short or too long waves and cannot help to get rid of the pigment or can remove it with the skin and become a cause of a serious burn.
- Using different acids to clean the skin surface can also lead to unpredictable consequences. If you want to remove a tattoo, do not do it at home, even if the tattoo is very small and seems to be not very deep.
- Putting a thin paint layer on a very dark or black tattoo can become a cause of a terrible tattoo look. After a while, the top paint layer will start losing its color and you will get a dirty spot of it under your skin.
- Cutting the piece of skin off. It is too ancient method and can make damage by different infections.
- If there less than 48 hours passed after the tattoo had been made, you can simply wash off about 70-80% of all inks,
- If a tattoo is on an opened skin space then there is another suitable method called skin transplantation. But it is apt only for small tattoos,
- If the tattoo is thin (no more than 1 cm) then a piece of skin can be cut and the borders of a wound sewn.
How to prevent tattoo removal
When you feel that you want to make a new tattoo, never mind if it is the first or the next one, you should think if you really want it. The most popular tattoos for removal are ex-lovers names or tattoos made by inexperienced tattoo master. Such tattoos usually remind us of something or someone not very pleasant or the paintings just seem not very attractive.
Careful treatment of everything that is important and that will stay with you for the rest of your life is the best way to prevent tattoo removal.
Moreover, imagine all the consequences you can get after a tattoo removal procedure. Maybe the final result will be worse than the tattoo itself.
Anyway, if you decided to remove a tattoo or had already have the operation, than do not forget to take care of the damaged skin. Otherwise, you risk getting infections and the healing process will be longer than expected.
The most harmful and wild ways of tattoo removing are practiced in the jails. Pieces of tattooed skin are just removed by cutting off or made suppurating in order to provoke skin regeneration. The scars are often left on the ex-tattooed places. Such barbaric methods can be also used in the tribes where surgery is unavailable.
How not to be fooled
There are some specialists who use lasers for tattoo removal and who fool their clients. The method is very simple. After the first few visits, the client usually sees that the tattoo becomes much paler. It seems that there are no more than a couple of procedures left to get clean skin. However, the paler inks become, the less effect all the next visits have. So the tattoo needs more and more procedures to be completely removed. Many people continue these procedures believing that every next visit will be the last one. As a result, there is plenty of money wasted.
Tattoo is a symbol, a mark on the skin made to emphasize something that is important for the owner. If you decide to make a tattoo, think twice. First of all, think of the place, where tattoo would be located. Imagine what would happen to it after five, ten, or twenty years. Would it be suitable to appear on public with such a tattoo?
Try to avoid making tattoos on your face or neck, as it is too opened surface. Besides, tattoos on such places can become a cause of a biased attitude. Sometimes tattoos can have bad influence, for instance, in the situations when you try to get a job or to make a good impression on someone more conservative.
In the nearest future, there will probably appear more effective, cheap and harmless new tattoo removal methods. But now the best method is the laser and it is the most expensive one. Treat your body carefully and do not make mistakes that would remind of themselves after a few years passed.