Love Nigerian cuisine? Learn how to make one of the best soups ever - Efo Riro!
Nigerian cuisine is unique and various. There are so many interesting, tasty and healthy dishes, created by the native tribes of country. One of popular ones is Efo Riro – a Yoruba soup. Let’s find out everything concerning its benefits and ways of cooking.
Yoruba cuisine and Efo Riro
It is an essential part of culture for this ethnic group. The most popular food here is pounded yam. It is used for cooking many different dishes. Other popular foods are Amala, eba, semo, fufu, Moin moin, and so on.
Efo RIro is famous soup cooked by Yoruba tribe people. However, it is also cooked in various parts of Nigeria, in different states and tribes, and even abroad. It can be eaten with fufu, eba, amala or iyan (other popular meals). So, let’s get some tips on how to prepare tasty and yummy Efor Riro soup.
How can you cook Efo Riro with spinach?
First, prepare all the ingredients for your Efo Riro recipe. Here's the list of groceries and ingredients you need:
- spinach leaves (sliced 10 cups),
- stock fish ear (10 pieces),
- assorted meat (1 kilo),
- sliced tatashe (1 cup),
- sliced pepper (1/4 cup),
- onions (sliced, 1/2 cup),
- Ground Crayfish (1/2 cup),
- iru (locust beans, 3 spoons),
- smoked fish (3 medium-sized),
- palm oil (200 ml)
- Knorr (3 cubes).
READ ALSO: How to make Hausa masa?
Preparation of Efo Riro Egusi recipe:
- Wash the meat and put into pot.
- Add salt, a little bit of water, onions, and Knorr cubes.
- Boil for about 15 minutes.
- Add 2 glasses of water and cook until water is almost dried.
- Add smoked fish, stock fish and a glass of water.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Take the other pot and pour palm oil on it.
- Heat your pot, put sliced onion and pepper/tatashe.
- Mix everything and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add cooked meat/stock fish/smoked fish, mix and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add crayfish and iru, mix and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add salt and spinach.
You may serve it with Eba, Pounded yam, rice, beans, Semolina, Amala or any other similar Nigerian Food.
Health benefits of Efo Riro (African spinach soup)
The described Yoruba dish isn't only delicious, but also extremely helpful for your health. Let’s consider the main advantages:
- It is nutritious.
- It's full of vitamins.
- The vegetables contain plenty of healthy things.
- Soup is helpful for your stomach.
This dish is really popular in modern Nigeria. Even celebrities like to cook it for their families. For instance, one of the prominent Nigerian actresses – Tonto Dikeh makes it for her beloved husband. One of the pictures of her Efo Riro soups is available on the Internet (in her Instagram).
Well, try to cook and taste this native Nigerian dish. It is delicious and healthy. Your family will appreciate it by all means!