Do you want to surprise your relatives or friends? Cook them something unusual and they will be remember this evening forever! As the exotic dish, we propose you to cook Nigerian Egusi soup. Read the article and find out the recipe!
The Nigerian cuisine is known for its exotic, taste and, of course, unordinary ingredients. The most popular Nigerian dish is Egusi soup. It is prepared with melon seeds and is very delicious and unusual. Egusi is cooked by most Nigerian tribes in different ways. It is known as Miyan Gushi in Hausa, Ofe Egusi in Igbo and Efo Elegusi in Yoruba.
READ ALSO: What are the best diet breakfast ideas?
Egusi soup is one of the best and often cooked dishes in Nigeria. Once you tasted it, you will never forget!
The main foods in the Nigerian cuisine include peanuts or ground-nuts, yams, cassava, fish, rice, okra, bananas, Guinea corn and millet, and palm nuts.
Nigerians love to cook with lots of pepper and spices especially those from the South-West and South-East. The Egusi soup recipe uses all the local ingredients, which make the taste unusual and unique.
So, if you are interested in it, let us present you the receipt of Egusi soup!
Ground Egusi seeds give this soup a unique color and flavor. If you can't find Egusi seeds in your store, you can substitute pumpkin seeds or Pepitas which you can find in grocery stores in Latin America. This soup is thickened with flour ground from seeds of gourds, melons, pumpkins and squashes, many of which grow in Africa.
- 200 g water leaves
- 50 g Egusi seeds
- One teaspoon of dry ground red pepper
- One medium onion
- 100 ml palm oil
- 10g dry ground crayfish
- 120g fresh tomatoes
- 100 ml of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the water leaves well in clean, fresh water.
- Wash, cut and mix onions, tomatoes, and egusi seeds until smooth mass. Or you can also blend it in blender all together.
- Add the dry ground pepper and fry in palm oil for five minutes.
- Add water, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the water leaves, replace lid and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Finally, add the crayfish and seasoning, warming through well.
Serve with pounded Yam or fried rice and Meat Stew, to provide protein. Additionally, serve with EBA, fufu or any suitable carbohydrates.
Enjoy your Egusi soup!
- READ ALSO: What are the best banana cake recipes?