Hausa tribe has many great recipes and masa is one of them. Learn how to make it and treat your family.
Do you like Nigerian cuisine? But how much do you know about it? What are the most popular native dishes and ingredients? Which of them will be really tasty for you? Find out more about it right now.
The cuisine of this country includes various dishes from different ethnicities. In general, all of them might be divided into several groups, which are as follows:
- entrees (which might be rice-based or bean-based),
- meat dishes,
- soups and stews,
- puddings and porridges (which can be yam-based or cassava-based),
- side dishes,
- snacks and beverages.
Today we are going to observe one of the interesting Hausa recipes.
It is the most popular snack in Nigeria (especially in the north). You may find plenty of such things being sold in the streets early in the morning. Nevertheless, many people still want to learn how to cook it at home.
Before we will tell you how to prepare this dish, you should know that the process and peculiarities of cooking might differ according to the particular household. However, key things are always the same. So, you will require the following ingredients:
- raw rice (1.5 cups),
- cooked rice (1.5 tablespoons),
- active dry yeast (1.5 teaspoons),
- sugar (4 tablespoons),
- water (2 cups, of room temperature),
- ground akaun (optional),
- salt (0.5 teaspoons).
Now, follow the steps to prepare your dish:
- Soak raw rice in the water (better for a night). You will need about 5 cups of it.
- Dissolve sugar and akaun (if used) in water (2 prepared cups).
- Add yeast and put everything into warm place for 15 minutes.
- Grind dried rice in blender with mixture. You should get a smooth butter.
- Add cooked rice and blend again.
- Put the mass into a big bowl and leave in warm place for about 10 hours (during this time, it should rise, collapse, and ferment).
- Add salt and sugar (if you want some more).
- Your butter must be as thick as pap, so add some water if necessary.
- Heat your pan and pour some oil on it.
- Stir the butter properly.
- Pour several spoons of it into the pan (the number depends on its size).
- Cook from both sides for about 2 – 2.5 minutes.
So, when your masa is ready, it might be served as snack or as breakfast cake.
You have learned how to make one of popular Nigerian dishes. Use your creative mind and add something new to the recipe if you want. Anyway, try it and enjoy the wonderful taste of Hausa masa at home! Your family will like it by all means.