People are wondering whether they can eat watermelon seeds. What are watermelon seeds benefits? Why might they be harmful? You’ll find all the answers here right now!
A lot of us are accustomed to eat watermelon and throw away the seeds. But watermelon seeds are edible too. Dry, grind them into flour and make a paste. Either fry, mix with sugar, salt or honey. The industry is known for such a product as oil from watermelon seeds. Do not rush to throw out the seeds. This tasty and healthy treat may surprise you.
Watermelon seeds benefits
- Dried watermelon seeds contain more than thirty percent of protein. Therefore, they contain a lot of amino acids involved in the formation of muscle tissue, the long-term energy.
- Arginine in watermelon seeds - amino acids, beneficial for the heart. It regulates blood pressure, reduces the risk of coronary heart disease.
- One hundred grams of seeds have more than sixty percent of the daily adult protein requirements. Other essential amino acids in the composition - tryptophane, lysine, oleic, linoleic, glutamic acid.
- Dried watermelon seeds are rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. In particular, the omega-6 reduces high blood pressure, reduces the level of "harmful" cholesterol. Cholesterol plaques do not appear on the inner walls of the blood vessels. It reduces the risk of atherosclerosis in old age.
- The seeds of watermelon contain vitamins of group B. They help convert ingested food into energy.
- Niacin in the composition of the product is important to complete the work of the nervous system, the health of the skin and digestive tract.
- Watermelon seeds can boast of its mineral composition. Magnesium regulates pressure and blood sugar, involved in carbohydrate metabolism.
- Zinc is important for a strong immune system, healthy and shiny hair. Serious diarrhea develops, people often sick, because of a shortage of the element.
- Iron is involved in the production of red blood cells. Watermelon seeds warn and treat anemia, eliminate fatigue, constant fatigue.
- Phosphorus, copper, manganese. The amount of these minerals in one cup of watermelon seeds almost completely satisfies the daily need for them.
- The fibrous component of the seeds helps the digestive tract. It helps to get rid of the body toxins. It helps bowel to work better. Vegetable fiber is not capable for our intestine to digest properly. It acts as an absorbent sponge. It gently cleans everything around, collects and gets rid of it.
- Watermelon seeds have vasodilating properties.
The negative impact of watermelon seeds due to the content of citrulline. This amino acid is decomposed in the body to release ammonia. The product is completely unnecessary.
In a healthy person, he safely excreted in the urine. If you have kidney disease, bladder, citrulline can seriously harm. Harmful all parts of the watermelon for people with citrus anemia. This is a genetic disorder of the synthesis of amino acids associated with the urea cycle.
Watermelon seeds calories
READ ALSO: What are guava leaves good for?
Watermelon seeds are eaten raw, roasted and dried. Consider the calorie content of dried seeds. In 100 g cup - 557 kilocalories. This is quite a lot. It is approximately a quarter of the daily needs of people.
People who lead a sedentary lifestyle are recommended to use seeds with caution. This may be a single meal. For athletes and those, who are engaged in heavy physical labor watermelon seeds in the diet is a great power support.
How many calories are there in milled dried seeds, which are put in different kitchen ‘gauges’?
The amount of product
A glass of 200 ml
A glass of 250 ml
As already mentioned, watermelon seeds are contraindicated for people with kidney disease and citrus anemia.
You cannot eat watermelon seeds if you are: a pregnant woman, nursing mother and if you are not up to three years old. This is due to the high protein content and the presence of citrulline in the composition of seeds.
Watermelon seeds are high-calorie foods. It is better to give them up entirely for people suffering from obesity, Type II diabetes.
The nutritional value
100g content portion, grams
% of the recommended daily norm
Saturated fat (palmitate, stearate)
The bulk of the caloric content of the product is made by fats. The power ratio is the following:
- proteins - 20%;
- fats - 77%;
- carbohydrates - 11%.
Vitamins and minerals
Name of element
Amount in 100 grams of the product
% of the daily requirement
PP (niacin equivalent)
B5 (pantothenic acid)
B9 (folic acid)
Minerals (macro and micronutrients)
Thus, the watermelon seeds can help provide vitamin and mineral balance in the body. The high salt content of minerals helps exchange processes at all levels. B vitamins - basis vitamin content of seeds - improve the functioning of the central nervous system, keep a long time beauty of the skin, hair and nails. In addition, watermelon seeds are delicious.
- READ ALSO: Is watermelon good for diabetes?