Disputes between vegetarians and meat-eaters have been continuing for ages. Who are still healthier, smarter, and stronger: meat eaters or vegetarians? Is it true that vegetarians live longer than meat-eaters do? Continue reading to know all advantages and disadvantages of each food system.
Meat eater or vegetarian – what is healthier? To some observers, it may seem that vegetarianism has become trendy today. If you go in for sports, drink no alcohol, and do not smoke, then you should be a vegetarian.
Therefore, meat eaters vs. vegetarians – is the constant mental struggle. Today we will give you all benefits and detriments of every system of nutrition.
Health benefits of eating meat
- Meat is the primary source of protein. Muscles, cells, heart, skin, hair, nails regularly require protein
- Meat protein is essential for weight loss. Our body needs more calories to digest meat, thus, leading to weight loss
- Meat protein is digested by 80-95% in contrast to vegetable proteins
- Meat is necessary for the brain and during physical activities
- Meat contains a set of essential amino acids. They are vital for proper operation of the body
Detriments of eating meat
- Meat can induce processes of decay in the gut and digestive system disrupt
- Meat might contain antibiotics and hormones which were in animal`s food for faster growth
- Any meat can provide plenty of parasites
How to eat meat, so it was useful?
- Buy meat only from reliable suppliers
- Hormones and cadaveric poisons remain in the cooking broth. Therefore, you need to boil meat for several times and never use broth.
- Avoid fried meat! The meat itself is quite a strong product. When frying, harmful fats saturate the meat, turning into a toxic mix for the body.
- It is best to eat boiled or roasted meat
- Eat meat only in the right combinations with vegetables!
Advantages and disadvantages of vegetarianism
As you know, a vegetarian never eats the meat of any animal. There are different reasons why people choose vegetarianism. Someone suddenly realizes the commandment
“Thou shalt not kill!” Other people find in vegetarianism the way to lose weight. For others it is is a conscious choice, a way to change themselves and their lives.
Let us have a closer look on its advantages.
Benefits of vegetarianism
- Vegetables and fruits will supply your body with plenty of vitamins
- Vegetarianism helps to cope with excess weight as a vegetarian food has fewer calories
- Vegetarian menu will give you the feeling of high-spiritedness and lightness
- There are no steroids and various chemical additives in vegetarian food
- Plant foods are rich in fiber, which is beneficial for the gut
- Vegetarians are less prone to such diseases as hypertension, cancer, atherosclerosis, coronary heart disease, arthrosis, arthritis, and gallstones
Disadvantages of vegetarianism
- Vegetarians may be victims of iron deficiency anemia, as the body poorly absorbs iron contained in plant food
- There is no vitamin B12 in plant food. Severe and irreversible diseases of the nervous system occur without plant food. When people talk about disadvantages and dangers of vegetarianism, they primarily have in mind this very circumstance
- Animal proteins have significant advantages over the vegetable ones, including soy protein. Proteins are the building blocks for cells and tissues. Without then a human body is not able to produce vital hormones
- Vegetarians often lack iodine, calcium, vitamin D, zinc
- When people do not eat fish, they require plenty of essential vitamins and minerals that plant food cannot replace. It leads to the development of cardiovascular disease and cataracts
- Fiber is very useful for the organism. It displays glucose, cholesterol, and toxins. However, its excessive use prevents the absorption of protein
- Vegetarianism is strictly prohibited for pregnant women and nursing mothers
- Strict vegetarian diet often violates menstrual functions leading to infertility in young girls
Before becoming a vegetarian or continuing to eat meat, you first need to listen to your body and evaluate the possibility of your health. According to doctors, the most sensible diet is the one that allows combining meat and vegetarian food moderately, as well as to eat dairy products and eggs. In this case, a person stops suffering from a lack of nutrients and gets rid of many diseases gradually.
- READ ALSO: Should humans eat meat?