Diabetes is a disease that requires constant monitoring, especially monitoring of the foods that you eat. The right diet normalizes blood sugar levels and helps to prevent the development of the disease, so the treatment menu is the first step in the fight against diabetes.
Although there are many drugs that reduce blood sugar, the diet #9 is not the least in the treatment of diabetes. The basic principle of nutritional therapy in diabetes is carefully selected products.
Nutritional therapy in diabetes
Diabetes mellitus is divided into two types: the first type is called insulin dependent, and the second type is called non-insulin dependent. With any form of the disease, a strictly balanced diet is able to normalize the process of metabolism in the body. Doctors believe that nutritional therapy can serve as a prevention of diabetes and for those who already suffer from this disease it can minimize the medications intake.
Nutritional therapy in diabetes (often called "diet #9") is generally designated by a doctor and takes into account all the peculiarities of the disease, such as type and severity of diabetes. Of course, the diagnosis of "Diabetes" does not mean that from now on, the menu will consist of the dull and monotonous food. In fact, diabetes diet may include interesting and delicious meals. It’s important to follow certain principles, for example, remove fried, spicy, salty and smoked foods from the diet. Forget about the canned food, mustard, and alcoholic beverages.
It’s quite clear that if you have diabetes, you have to minimize the consumption of sugar. In severe forms of diabetes, sugar has to be completely excluded from the diet.
Recent studies have shown that a high content of fat has an impact on the progression of diabetes. Therefore, you have to monitor and limit the intake of fatty foods.
Diabetes diet should be fractional. Eat 5 times a day. Such a diet enables you to affect the level of insulin and blood glucose. Main meals, such as breakfast, lunch and dinner should be roughly equal in calories and carbohydrates.
READ ALSO: Diabetes Mellitus: causes and consequences
Diet for type 1 diabetes
The basis of treatment of diabetes type 1lies a well-chosen insulin. The main aim of the doctor is the selection of the correct combination of necessary pharmaceuticals and diet. This is necessary to minimize fluctuations of blood glucose and the risk of possible complications. However, diet for diabetes type 1 plays a minor role. It should be designed only by the doctor, because this type of diabetes is the most dangerous.
For very accurate calculation of insulin doses and the amount of food eaten, developed a special system of "Bread units". Under this system one HEH is equal to 10-12 grams of carbohydrates. To understand, one HEH is equivalent to one slice of bread or one medium orange.
Diet for type 1 diabetes requires a few important rules by which people suffering from diabetes will be able to eat normally. First, a single meal should not exceed more than 7-8 units of bread, if you count carbohydrates, it is 70-90 grams per meal. Every time before eating it is necessary to calculate the dose of insulin and the number of pieces of bread. Secondly, you have to exclude sugary drinks, such as tea with sugar, lemonades, sodas and sugary juices.
Diet for type 2 diabetes
The main reason of diabetes is the second form is obesity and overeating. In the treatment of diabetes of this type, known as non-insulin dependent type, the main purpose is to stabilize the metabolism of carbohydrates. Diet for type 2 diabetes and daily exercise contribute to increased sensitivity of cells to insulin.
An endocrinologist on an individual basis designates diet for type 2 diabetes taking the age, gender and physical activity into account. This is aimed at reducing weight. For each patient, a doctor calculates the required daily amount of calories. For example, for a woman weighing 70 kg the daily intake of calories is equal to 1400.
Diet "Table # 9" for diabetes
Diet "Table # 9" diabetes is designed for people with diabetes of light and medium forms. Dietitians offer a special system which can serve as a basic for all patients with diabetes. Diet #9 is a diet that is low in energy value. According to the principle of the diet recommended normal consumption of protein, reduced fat and significant restriction of carbohydrates. Sugar, salt and cholesterol are excluded from the diet.
Permitted foods in diabetes
Mushroom and vegetable soups, low-fat fish broth.
Lean beef, rabbit meat, chicken.
- Rye and wheat bread, bread with bran, bread from wheat second grade flour.
- Lean fish in boiled or baked form. Fried allowed in rare cases. Canned food, only if the fish in its own juice.
- Low-fat cheese, skim milk, dairy products, yogurt.
- Eggs up to 2 pieces per week, and only the protein part.
- Millet, barley, buckwheat, oats and barley cereals
- Lettuce, pumpkin, cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, cabbage and eggplants. Vegetables can be eaten boiled and baked. If possible, raw is preferable. The potatoes in the normal range of carbs a day.
- Fruits and berries but not sweet ones, such as apples, grapefruit.
- Tea, juices and vegetable, fruit or berry (sour varieties) broths.
Forbidden food in diabetes
- Fatty meat broths.
- Fatty meats - pork, duck, lamb, sausages, bacon.
- Cakes and biscuits. Completely exclude pastry.
- Fatty varieties of fish, any fish that is salted and smoked, canned fish in oil, caviar.
- All kinds of salty cheese, cottage cheese and sweet curds, cream of any fat content, butter.
- White rice, semolina and pasta.
- Salted and pickled vegetables, peas, beans.
- Strawberries, grapes, figs, bananas, dates, sugar, jam, candy.
- Grape, peach, and other juices with a high content of glucose, drinks with sugar, carbonated drinks.
- READ ALSO: How to prevent diabetes with diet?