Like to take pictures? Learn how to look good on all your photos and selfies. Get the top notch tips on being photogenic.
How often do you watch your photos thinking “Is it even me or not?” or “Why cannot I just look like I see myself in the mirror?” The reason is that we see ourselves’ reflection five times prettier than camera sees us. That happens because we know exactly how to turn the head or how to smile. We know how to show our pros and how to hide our cons. Camera can be your friend and your enemy as well. Everyone knows it adds at least five kilos of weight when you get on video tape or even just stand on the photo turning your head wrong. Here you will find out how to be photogenic.
What types of photos can you make
- Photos for documents,
- “selfie” photos of yourself made on your phone or webcam,
- photos during vacation with local sights and attractions,
- portrait photos made by your friends,
- photos made in move, for example while resting and having active vacation.
What is wrong with me?
The correct answer is “nothing”. Nothing is wrong with you, even if every taken photo of you disappoints and seems unattractive to you. People do several very common mistakes about photographs and that is why there are so many people wondering about how to be more photogenic.
The most common mistakes are:
- to be afraid of camera (when you see someone taking his camera out you try to hide from him and his device. As a result – he or she catches you with an unpleasant or angry face or pose and everything you can think about it is “Oh, no, a bad picture of me… again!”),
- to worry too much about being attractive (usually it means that person uses too much make up or smile is obviously fake),
- to show how photographing process is disgusting for you (when person looks like he or she was made to do this and s(he) cannot wait to be free from this unpleasant obligatory).
What you should understand:
- you are photogenic because you are beautiful,
- professional photographers do not only work with models from catwalks, they work with “real” people as well,
- photo is just the other way to express yourself,
- photos are the best way of keeping memories,
- camera can be your friend even if in the past it behaved like hating you,
- all problems concerning being not photogenic is not in your appearance, they are in your head.
What are the main tips
The most important issues you have to pay attention on are:
- your face and pose,
- your appearance,
- your attitude and mood.
Let us sort them out in order.
Tips sorted by the level of importance
Actually, there is no any rating and tips cannot be distinguished to more or less important because only together they are a full recipe of taking perfect pictures.
READ ALSO: Top 10 photographers in Nigeria.
Tips about your face
- Clean your skin. Even if photo is not a portrait, face skin always attracts attention so it should be clean and fresh.
- Learn how to appreciate your uniqueness. If you have freckles or unusual eye shape – it is a reason to be proud of your appearance, not to hide it!
- Smile naturally. When you smile sincerely, not only your lips are smiling but your eyes also do. Do not hide your teeth from camera nor close your mouth with a hand – it distracts attention and makes photo not live.
- Do not look straight to the camera if you don’t wish to look bigger than you really are. Turn your head a little bit and you will see how thinner your face’ lines will be.
- Train in front of the mirror before photoset to find out what head pose is the most winning for you. Try to put your head a little bit down and turn it to the left or right.
Tips about your pose
- Find out what your advantages are. There are no perfect bodies: some of us have beautiful legs, others have perfect shoulders or arms etc. You just need to realize what to show or to hide.
- Turn away from camera. The best pose to show all advantages of your physical shape is to turn on 2/3 from camera. In this case, it will not add you some extra weight.
- Make your pose easy and relaxed.
Do not stay straight, better turn and bend your arms or leg, put an arm on your hip.
- To make a little optical illusion and make your body thicker, lean to thecamera. It will help to focus on your face and your body will seem smaller.
- Feel comfortable. The best pose is the one where you feel yourself relaxed. Nothing hurts, nothing becomes dumb, just pure comfort that will provoke you to a sincere smile.
Tips about your appearance
- Wear cozy clothes. It does not mean that you have to wear something oversized, clumsy or baggy. It means that your clothes should be comfortable. Maybe very high heels can make your legs seem longer, but if you cannot move wearing them, there will be no use.
- Do not avoid using additional objects. You can always create an interesting and creative image by using a ball or a puppy or anything else. Try to use something that can express your individuality and pay attention to the objects’ size. They should not be too big and distract all attention from you.
- If you are a part of a group photo, then try to stand in its center or at least not to be in the corner. Two people who stand on the corners usually seem to be bigger and even a little bit clumsy.
- Pay attention to the light. Two photos made with natural and artificial light are completely different. Different types of light need different make-up and imply different conditions, including weather ones.
- Use objects that help you to concentrate. For example, if you like reading books, you can take a book with you and use it as some kind of anchor of your concentration.
Tips about your mood and attitude
- Imagine you are having an adventure. Excited emotions and expectation of fun can make you happier.
- Repeat inside of yourself for a couple of times that you are beautiful. Ensure yourself that camera is waiting to see how pretty and attractive you are.
- Before going to the photoset, ask your friends or even passers-by how you look. Their answers would make your more confident.
- Do not be embarrassed of having a lot of time in front of the mirror. It will help to choose the most spectacular poses and smile.
- Be confident. Camera can see if you are confident or not. Just like a dog – it feels whether you are afraid or not.
More exact tips
Additional pieces of advice about your face
- Never wear too much make up. Even if you want to hide some imperfections of your skin, you had better use some graphic redactors as Photoshop but never put thousands of make-up layers on your skin. The only case when it is appropriate if you are going to the special photoset devoted to the Halloween party or something else in the same specifics.
- Better do not use lips glow if you have thin lips because camera “eats” your lips with the shining glow. The best variant is matte lipstick or natural lips’ color.
- Make your hairstyle not attracting all attention. If it is too big and complicated, no one would look into your eyes, and nothing but eyes are the most expressive part of your face.
- Use matte napkins for the T-zone if your skin has greasy luster. It looks awful on photos.
- Make your face live and agile even if you know that static face expression is the best. It will help you to feel relaxed because it is very hard to keep the same face expression for a very long time.
If photo is taken next to the sightseeing
- If you stand near some big object like, for example, Eiffel Tower, you have to stand closer to the camera. In other case, you would look very tiny and there will be no use of your presence at all. On the other hand, if you want to emphasize the huge height of the object, stay close to it.
- Try to make yourself a part of the object by touching it or posing under or on it. Do not just stand straight nearby it, as it is too boring.
- Take into account such aspects as light and weather.
- Watch that photo is not cut in the middle or in the bottom so not to be with the “cut” legs on the photograph.
- Watch that line of horizon is strictly straight to prevent crooked photos.
What to do
- Make a few photos, even if it seems that you already have a good one. Choice is good.
- If you make photos on webcam or phone, you need to spend more time choosing the right angle and pose.
- Ask someone for help while choosing the most attractive photo from a set of similar ones. It will help you to get an objective opinion.
- Think of something pleasant while posing. For example, think of your beloved person, cat, or any good memory. It would help you to tune yourself on the right mood.
- Try to copy famous models’ poses, but do it before photoset to understand if they are suitable for you.
What to avoid
- Try to avoid using words as “cheese” to make an artificial smile. It usually looks not very natural.
- Avoidphotos with wrong foreshortening, for example, when camera is too low so face looks very round and not attractive.
- Avoid unnatural photos where people stand in strict line like in line-up. Except if it is not a photo of a sport team before competition.
- Avoid bad backgrounds. Always pay attention on what is behind you so not to have photo where someone or something is distracting attention from you. Also, avoid backgrounds, where something is above your head (for example, the part of column, etc.).
- Avoid “plastic” face expressions. Try to express your personality instead. Make few shots expressing various emotions: happiness, anger, sadness, etc.
Let us sum up the answer on “how to be photogenic?”
- relax before photoset and imagine it is a game or a theatric performance,
- prepare yourself by choosing an appropriate variant of makeup and suitable comfortable clothes,
- train in front of different mirrors (small one to train face expressions and big one to train poses),
- do not be afraid of camera and photographer, remember that they work for emphasizing your advantages,
- enjoy the whole process being pleased with your beauty!