Many girls that suffer from acne are worried if makeup can make their skin condition even worse. In this article, we'll talk about how makeup affects acne.
Acne is associated with a number of myths, mainly due to the fact that it is very common disease that affects many people. Acne is extremely unpleasant. The main source of discomfort are small pimples on the face, that ladies usually want to cover with makeup. The problem is that using cosmetics, we sometimes put quite harmful substances on our skin that can aggravate acne or even cause its appearance after treatment. So before using cosmetics, it is important to ensure that it does not contain potentially dangerous for the skin ingredients.
Can you still use makeup?
Non-comedogenic (which not causing acne) cosmetics include components that don’t clog the pores and don’t aggravate the symptoms of acne. It is absolutely safe for skin with to acne. That’s why, you can use any make up: foundation, eye shadows or blush, even if you suffer from acne. You only need to choose products that are non-comedogenic.
READ ALSO: What fооds cause acne?
10 rules of makeup for the skin with acne
- Skin preparation. The problems of skin with acne are redness and roughness of the skin caused by inflammation. Therefore, preparing the skin for make-up is so important. Skin texture should smoothed as much as possible. The application of the primer before the foundation will help your skin to look smooth.
- Color correction. Use color correctors instead of standart concealers. The most needed color is green because it can neutralize redness, which is caused by inflammation.
- Light textured creams. The key word when choosing a BB cream is light texture. Experts advice to choose creams based on water, which for a very thin layer on the skin. Forget about fat and dense foundations that promise many hours of durability because that may deteriorate the skin condition. In addition, their texture only highlights unevenness and roughness of the skin. It is best to cover all noticeable imperfections locally using concealer and use foundation just as a light finishing touch. By the way, it is best to put it on using your hands (which should be clean), but without the massage movements because you don’t want to irritate the skin.
- Highlights. After applying several layers of foundation the skin can become dull. So add highlighter to your makeup routine. A few strokes will correct the situation – apply it on the cheekbones, under the eyebrow, on a "cupid’s bow" above the lip.
- Composition. Some of the ingredients in makeup increase the skin irritation, which is particularly sensitive because of acne. You need to read the list of ingredients. There shouldn’t be any alcohol, coconut, almond, soy, sesame oil, chamomile extract or any other herbal components and chemical compounds. Look for the words "hypoallergenic," "non-comedogenic", and "fragrance-free" on the packaging.
- Minerals. Mineral makeup is ideal for acne. The basis of such cosmetics are mineral particles that do not interact with the skin and therefore do not aggravate its condition. This makeup is safe for sensitive and problem skin.
- Application. It is important not only what you apply but also how you do it. You shouldn’t use hard brushes and sponges. Despite the fact that they’re ease to use, they can irritate sensitive skin. Primers, concealers, creams are best applied with hands, doing light and gentle movements.
- Clean brushes. You can’t do makeup without any brushes at all. But it is essential to touch the skin touched only with clean brushes. Girls with acne should clean brushes after each use. For this purpose, shampoo will do the job, but it’s still better to buy a special cleaning gel for the brushes.
- Remove makeup. Carefully choose makeup removing products. Instead of "heavy" ones that contain oils, use very mild, such as micellar water. Try to avoid using sponges, napkins and everything than can damage the inflamed skin.
- The less make up the better. Cosmetologists recommend to use less decorative cosmetics. Better to use it only in exceptional cases, in other to give the skin opportunity to breathe.
- READ ALSO: Does cider vinegar treat acne?