Have you ever thought that birth control can play an important role in curing acne? If no, read the article.
It should be said that hormonal contraceptives will help only if the cause of the acne is a hormonal failure! This means that if the cause of the rash is not in this, birth control pills are unlikely to help. The main argument in favor of using birth control for acne is strong anti-androgenic effect that helps to stabilize the sebaceous glands.
Why birth control pills help to fight acne?
Very often the cause of pimples and acne lies in the hormonal failure. As a consequence, the hormone "dance", and the sebaceous glands are working at an uncontrolled pace. The result is acne on your face. By the way, the hormones is the most common cause of acne for adolescents, pregnant women and during menstruation. How to solve the problem?
Oral contraceptives have an antiandrogenic effect, pills decrease the production of male hormones in the female body. It is androgen that regulates production of sebum and the sebaceous glands. The consequence of an excess amount of androgen is oily skin (and then pimples). On this basis, the use of contraceptives can give you:
- A significant reduction (or complete disappearance) of acne if it was caused by violations of hormonal background. Therefore, if the problem is not in the failure of the hormonal level, birth control pills won't help you!
- Reduction of the oiliness of the skin, narrowing of pores. Suppression of androgen reduces the production of sebum, which is the perfect environment for bacteria.
- Easy anti-inflammatory effect. Indeed, as a small bonus you will get reduced inflammation and calming of the skin.
- Birth control pills slow down the growth of unwanted hair - male pattern and reduce the oiliness of the hair.
What to do to achieve a favorable therapeutic effect using oral contraceptives, which contain estrogen or progesterone derivatives?
Using contraceptives for one to two months you can significantly improve skin condition and prevent yourself from returning of acne in the future.
What kind of pills can better cope with acne?
There are several types of hormonal contraceptives that can be used from pimples and acne. By form and composition all hormonal birth control pills can be divided into types:
Combined contraceptives is the most popular option
Combined contraceptive pills consist of two main active ingredients: derivatives of estrogen and progestin. Many of them possess an anti-androgenic effect, which plays a major role in the stabilization of the sebaceous glands. Modern combined contraceptives micro-dose can significantly reduce the likelihood and severity of side effects. In general, pills and tablets are equal, as they contain active substances, and are released in a strictly defined place. The main advantages of this birth control pill are:
- A good anti-inflammatory effect.
- Reduction of pain syndrome;
- Reducing the fat content of the scalp;
- Normalization of the menstrual cycle.
- Vital tips and warnings
Dear girls and women, before you start a "war" with the hated acne with the help of birthcontrol pills, be sure to consult your doctor. Indiscriminate use of such pills can lead to very serious consequences.
Instead of a beautiful skin you are able:
- To disturb the natural hormonal balance in the body;
- Have a few extra pounds and cardiovascular disease;
- Lowered libido;
- Significant worsening of the skin condition.
We should also tell about the duration of use of such drugs. Contraceptives are not desirable to be used for a long time, even with the doctor's recommendation. If birth control pills do not help to get rid of pimples and acne for 2-3 months, you should think about the appropriateness of such treatment. Remember that hormones are not vitamins, although even they have some contraindications and possible side effects! Be careful when you use birth control pills.
Contraindications and side effects. Birth control pills are contraindicated:
- Teenagers during puberty;
- During pregnancy;
- Diseases of the liver or biliary tract.
The most common side effects of applying of hormonal contraceptives include:
- Swelling of the lower extremities, which is due to the fluid retention in the tissues. By the way, the same reason can lead to weight gain.
- Increase of blood pressure.
- Periodic headaches which symptoms are very similar to migraine attacks.
- Special attention should be paid to the dosage of estrogen in the drug, as if excessive amount, their contents may cause thrombosis in the vessels.
- Some women when taking hormonal contraceptives experience lowering libido.