Even in ancient times, our ancestors knew about the addiction of health and all life processes from the weather and other natural phenomena. Let's talk about different climates and how they affect us.
People are constantly under the influence of the climate of the area where they reside. The same weather regime has a definite influence on the health and well-being of a person. Even if the person is accustomed to a constant climate regime, a seasonal change in the weather still affects him. Some individuals, who are scientifically called meteopaths, are very sensitive to the metamorphosis of the weather.
The concept of "climate" includes several phenomena: the change of meteorological parameters, atmospheric electricity, solar radiation, landscape, etc. That is, a range of factors has an impact on the body.
The influence of climate on human health
- The Individual elements have different effects on people. For example, high ambient temperature provokes the expansion of peripheral blood vessels, lowering blood pressure and the rate of metabolic processes, causes the redistribution of blood in the body. But when the temperature is low, there is a reduction of peripheral vessels, increased pressure, the pulse quickens, increasing the blood flow and the rate of metabolic processes.
- The nervous system reduces its activity at high temperatures and increases its excitability at low temperatures. Other systems of the body act in a similar way. Mostly they depend on the reactions of metabolism, circulatory, and nervous systems. However, we need to take into account the individual characteristics of the organism, and the extent, duration and speed of temperature drop. A person's ability of acclimatization plays an important role, as well. People develop the conditioned reflexes of thermoregulation, which are responsible for the body's resistance to the ambient temperature.
READ ALSO: What are the consequences of climate change?
- Another important factor is the humidity. This factor affects the heat transfer, which, respectively, affects the thermoregulation of the body. The cold air cools the body; the hot air heats it.
- The wind irritates the thermoreceptors on the skin. Depending on the strength of the wind, it can cause negative or positive emotions.
- If the height of the terrain above sea level is 200 meters and above, the barometric pressure changes. The body reacts by changing the blood flow and by the hyperventilation of the lungs. The higher the terrain, the stronger the reaction. This increases the number of red blood cells and hemoglobin in the blood. Staying in areas with high pressure, low temperature, and ultraviolet radiation triggers the acceleration of metabolism that sometimes is quite effective in the presence of pathological processes. Usually, healthy people do not react to minor fluctuations in barometric pressure.
Seasonal fluctuations in the weather provoke changes in physiological functions. The nervous system, metabolic processes, heat transfer, glands of internal secretion have a very different reaction. Healthy people don't really feel the seasonal changes thanks to the adaptive physiological mechanisms. However, people with some diseases are very acutely aware of the changes. In the field of medicine, there are several types of climates, which are able to exert a certain physiological effect on the body.
Health benefits of the sea climate change
- Such conditions suggest a moist, fresh, full-bodied with sea salt air. The sea, its blue surface and slowly running waves always has a positive effect on the human nervous system. Scenic coast, especially in the South, reflected solar radiation, the absence of sharp changes in temperature, all these factors normalize the body functions during the pathological process. In addition, it balances the processes of inhibition and hyperexcitability in the central nervous system.
- These climate helps the different types of therapies to have a more profound effect on the course of metabolic and trophic processes. As a result, the pathological condition is eliminated. Such climate is beneficial not only for the people with pathologies but also for perfectly healthy people, as it will increase their adaptive function.
The influence of mountain climate on health
The stimulating effect occurs when you stay in the highlands. It happens because of the low barometric pressure at high altitude, sudden changes in day and night temperatures, fresh air and landscape. The increased excitability of the nervous system stimulates the process of metabolism. Low pressure strengthens the hematopoietic function of bone marrow. These phenomena are favorable stimuli. Those who need to stimulate the sluggish pathological processes should take a trip to the mountains. The increase in the rate of metabolism balances the nervous processes, which stimulates the immune system. As a result, the body strengthens the fight with the existing diseases.
The effects of the climate of the temperate zone
The climate conditions of the steppes and forests are characterized by minor temperature fluctuations, moderate and stable humidity. These factors are a good exercise for the healthy body. The middle lane has a clear changing of the seasons which are winter, spring, summer, and autumn. The change of weather conditions is necessarily accompanied by changes in physiological reactions. Ultraviolet radiation is sufficient, and such weather conditions are resistant. This climate is especially good for those who suffer from cardiovascular diseases.
The climatic conditions of the desert
The hot air, the plains covered with sparse vegetation, the dusty soil, are the factors inherent to the desert climate which provoke the over-voltage of the adaptive reactions. This is not favorable for a person with some diseases. For example, sustained dry and hot weather lead to the problem of sweating. A person can lose up to 10 liters of fluid per day. However, this method of dewatering taking place through the skin is used for the treatment of people suffering from kidney disease.
The climate of the Northern latitudes
Monotonous plain, somewhere covered with forests and lakes, the winter cold, the short, warm, humid summers are the factors inherent in the Northern areas. A stay here will be a great exercise for the body as it has a tempering impact. In the amplification of heat is an increase in the rate of metabolic processes, the activation of the neural regulatory mechanisms of the respiratory and cardiovascular system. This, in turn, has a positive effect on the physiological functions. It is great to stay in this latitudes for the elderly people.
What climate is better for health?
Moving from one zone to another activates the human body and evokes favorable emotions only if the person is healthy.The rest from work and everyday life, the change of air and other environmental factors are good for the physical and emotional condition. If you combine the new climatic conditions with treatments aimed at eliminating specific pathology, the healing process will go much faster. However, people suffering from abnormalities of the heart and blood vessels are an exception. The sharp change of conditions can cause difficulties in adaptation. However, in most cases, a trip to the resorts in one of the zones described above enhances the physiological reactions of the organism. Weather mode is widely used in any zone for treatment and general strengthening in conducting the relevant activities.
- READ ALSO: What are the causes of climate change?