What are the most widespread reasons for developing cancer of different types? Who and why did called this disease so? Read the information below to learn more facts about this scary illness to prevent it better.
How did cancer get its name?
One of the most ominous diagnoses of our time is cancer. At the early stage of a disease, the oncology is treated rather successfully. Curability is nearly hundred percent. But the most difficult is to tap a tumor in time: often people learn about it too late. Therefore, doctors annually advise undergoing inspections. A large number of data of cancer is available to everyone. But did you think why cancer was called so? These questions come to mind practically from nowhere, like why the ladybug and the dragonfly were called so, and many other things. The name is so settled and habitual that we don't even ask questions of its parentage. The Ancient Greeks’ name for this illness is a carcinoma, designating a malignant tumor with an inflammation. Hippocrates gave this name to illness because of similarity of a tumor with this type of arthropods. It clings to healthy body tissues as claws. Processes of the developing tumor disperse from it to different organs, carrying illness. Such name was assigned to oncologic diseases until now. By the way, an oncology is also the name given by Hippocrates. This disease is known since 1600 BC. Then the disease was considered incurable. In the first century BC, people only began to fight with an oncology at an early stage. This offer was made by the doctor from Rome. But also then treatment consisted of getting rid of tumors in an operational way. Late stages weren't treated at all.
Now the following types of cancer are known:
- ovarian cancer,
- lung cancer,
- cancer of the breast,
- skin cancer,
- cancer of the blood and others.
What else do we don't know about this scary diagnosis? There are some curious facts, which will help you to recognize it better.
- For the last decade, there were more cancer patients for twenty percent than the decade ago,
- 12 million new oncologic patients appear every year in the world,
- nearly three million cases of illness are because of a low-quality delivery and almost total absence of physical exercises,
- today cancer became one of the most common causes of death,
- daily about 20 thousand people on the planet die of this illness,
- the most part of the cancer patients (about 70 percent) is the population of the states, where the standard of living is low.
READ ALSO: Is cancer hereditary?
The most frequent reasons causing cancer are:
- improper feeding,
- a high index of body weight,
- insufficient physical activity,
- genetic predisposition,
- chemical carcinogens,
- the increased level of hormones,
- the existence of precancerous diseases.
Conditions of a disease of cancer:
Cancer can't be caught from someone. Development of cancer requires the change of DNA of the person leading to an immortality of a cell because of uncontrolled reproduction. Another condition for the development of an oncology is immunity disturbance that is the link, which refers an organism on the fight against cancer cells.
Cancer isn't descended, though heredity plays a large role in predisposition to oncologic pathologies.
The possibility of full treatment depends on:
- a type of a tumor,
- a stage of a course of a disease when the diagnosis was made,
- exact diagnostics,
- correctly prescribed treatment,
- the existence of the necessary equipment and the qualified medical staff in the hospital.
Most of the cancer patients are elderly people.
- READ ALSO: What food causes cancer?