Have you ever made homemade hand soap? Do you know its key benefits? What ingredients are used in this process? What are the main stages of making soap at home? Find answers to these questions in the article below.
Nowadays homemade soap-making is becoming increasingly popular. This is understandable, since the soap making is extremely interesting and profitable process that quickly becomes a favorite hobby. Having learnt how to make homemade soap, you will find yourself in a double benefit. Firstly, it will solve the problem of useful and unusual gifts. Secondly, such soap will be a good environmentally friendly product for home use.
Homemade soap advantages
- Handmade soap is environmentally friendly natural product unique in both form and substance;
- Your homemade soap will always be without lye;
- Homemade soap bars do not dry the skin and always takes care of it;
- You can add your own natural ingredients in the soap that are suitable for your skin type. They are essential oils, decoction of herbs, honey, citrus zest, natural coffee, oatmeal, seaweed, flowers, and chocolate pieces;
- You can always create various homemade soap packaging forms;
- In addition, the soap making is really a creative process. The form and substance of domestic soap depends on your imagination only. It may just be nice colorful pieces of aromatic soap or a whole work of art. Let us consider the process of soap making at home in details.
Homemade soap ingredients
To make homemade soap you will need:
- Soap base. You can purchase a special transparent or white soap base in a specialized store or use ordinary baby soap;
- Base oil. It can be any type of soap: apple, olive, orange, almond, peach, or apricot;
- Essential oil. The choice of oil depends on your skin's needs. For example, an apricot saturates the skin with vitamins and gets rid of cellulite. Extra virgin olive oil is suitable for oily and problematic skin;
- Dyes. You can either buy special soap dyes or use food coloring. Natural products will help to give beautiful color to your soap. To do this, you can use cocoa, chocolate, fruit and vegetable juice;
- Additives. You can always add various additives to give your soap extra features: glycerol, cream, honey, herbal extracts, and dried flowers. If you want to make a scrub, add oatmeal, ground coffee, ground nut shells, etc;
- Dishes for the water bath;
- Dishes for soap. You can use any dishes: children, confectionery, special forms for soap, as well as any ceramic or plastic utensils;
- Alcohol. It is necessary to lubricate the surface of the dishes;
- Warm milk or water.
How to make homemade soap?
Stages of homemade soap making:
- Cut your soap base in small pieces or rub baby soap on a grater. This should be done to fasten the process of melting;
- Melt the soap base in a water bath, while stirring occasionally. Add the soap base oil (3 teaspoons per 100 g base);
- Periodically add milk, to get a creamy mass. Instead of milk, you can pure some water or broth of herbs. Experts recommend using sugar instead of water and milk;
- When you completely melt the soap base, add different ingredients: a teaspoon of glycerin, fragrances, seven drops of essential oils, dyes, coffee and any other components according to your choice.
- Pour the soap into the form and the surface of soap splash alcohol from the sprinkler. This procedure helps to remove bubbles on the surface.
- Ready-made soap should be left in dishes. You can also put it in the refrigerator or in any other cool place. In about three days, the soap is completely dry and ready for use.
What mistakes do usually beginners make?
- Overdose of essential oils is typical for beginners. It may cause allergies. If you make soap for a child, never add essential oils.
- If you add too much oil base, your soap will become greasy to the touch.
- Wanting to get absolutely red soap, many beginners use red rose petals or hibiscus tea. In fact, rose gives a dirty gray color, and hibiscus – dirty green.
- If you add too much dried herbs while making soap, it will tear the skin very much. The same thing happens if the dried herbs are not milled enough.
What do we finally receive?
Making soap is a very exciting and creative process that allows getting a product with the very properties that your skin needs. Moreover, homemade soap kits are made only from the most natural ingredients bringing the exact flavor you like. It is also a great gift for your loved ones, bearing the heat of your hands. You can as well show a wide variety of homemade soap packaging ideas.
Thus, be creative, experiment and never be afraid of making mistakes.
- READ ALSO: Slimming Soap; Does It Really Work?