Obesity is very serious disease. What do you need to know to prevent it? How to treat it? Read this article and learn everything about it.
Many years ago doctors have identified the ideal weight according to the formula [height (in centimeters) minus 100]. European therapists for the same purpose came up with several options BMI (body mass index). The most popular of them [weight (in kilograms) / height (meters) squared ].
If the resulting figure is less than 25, do to worry, weight is normal. BMI from 25 to 30, says about overweight: not catastrophic, but it is better to go on a diet to lose five or ten extra kilograms. If the BMI is over 30 — it is bad: this is obesity.
More than a simple sign of obesity: female waist circumference is more than 88 cm and male 102 cm and more.
Depending on the mass of the body distinguish obesity:
- 1st degree (the increase of mass compared to the ideal by more than 29%);
- 2nd degree (excess body mass is 30-49%);
- 3rd degree (the excess of body weight is equal to 50-99%);
- 4-th degree (the excess of body weight is 100% or more).
Obesity is treated by doctors of two specialties — nutritionists and endocrinologists. They will have to figure out what is the cause of overweight: hormones impaired metabolism or wrong nutrition.
The doctor will ask the patient about what he eats during a day, and guide to further research, which will help to assess the hormonal system of the body. First and foremost is the determination of the level of thyroid hormones (thyroxine, triiodothyronine), pituitary gland (thyroid-stimulating hormone), determination of glucose in the blood.
If necessary, conduct a study of all organs and systems to determine how they affected obesity.
Treatment of obesity
They are divided into three main groups.
Non-drug methods: a rational low-calorie diet and increased physical activity.
Medicinal methods: the appointment of agents, suppressing appetite and reducing absorption of nutrients in the body, as well as drugs that normalize hormones.
Surgical treatment of obesity:
- liposuction removes excess fatty tissue from under the skin;
- tummy tuck — eliminating saggy and/or big belly;
- workarounds enter- anastomosis — operation, "off" from the digestive part of the small intestine;
- gastric ring (Gastric Band), which are superimposed on the stomach, decreasing its volume and correspondingly speeding up the time of saturation.