Vagina after a baby is undergoing significant changes that may affect the well-being of a young mother and her intimate life during the first months after birth.
All women care about the condition of their vagina after having a baby. The recovery period is different for every woman. You need to keep in mind many nuances, so that your reproductive organs recover as quickly as possible.
- Condition. The vagina is woman’s sexual organ, which undergoes significant changes in the process of delivery. As a result, it gets damaged and changes its shape. It is believed that it becomes much bigger which makes sexual life less pleasant. Many young couples concern that vagina stretches after childbirth. In fact, you don’t need to worry. Almost all the changes occurring with the body in the first months after the birth of a baby are reversible.
- Stretching. Vagina is a muscular organ. When a child is being born, the muscles are stretching, they lose their elasticity and tone. Don’t get scared! It is a normal, natural process. Within 6 or 8 weeks the muscles will be fully restored. So, the size of the vagina after birth does not change, it remains the same. It just loses its shape for some time.
- Swelling. Swelling does not affect the well-being of women and disappear within the first 3-4 days after birth.
- Cracks and abrasions. After birth, the vagina is wide open, its walls become a blue-purple color due to the swelling, they are completely covered with cracks and abrasions. After a couple of weeks everything will return to normal, if there hadn’t been any serious damage or injury. Cracks will heal, swelling will subside, the walls will once again become pale pink.
- The roughness of the walls. The myth that the size of the vagina after childbirth increases emerged from the fact that the The roughness of the walls of the vagina chance. Woman who gave birth have smoother walls of the vagina. Therefore, there’s a feeling of increase in volume, which some men find uncomfortable during sex. This is a fixable thing, if you choose your pose wisely.
All the women experience such changes in the vagina after childbirth. The only difference is the duration of the recovery period and the number of deviations and unpleasant feelings that may arise because of complications. In this case, you need to know how to act and to try not to delay going to the hospital.
Changes in the vagina after childbirth. There are cases when the woman feels discomfort in the vaginal area after the delivery. You just need to know what to do with it and how to eliminate unwanted symptoms.
- Reduced sensitivity. A woman can feel a decrease or even loss of sensitivity. This is because the vaginal walls become flabby after childbirth, and the nerve endings need some time to recover. Don’t panic, you just need a little patience, and the sensitivity will come back.
- Pain. Very often women experience in the vagina discomfort and even pain after childbirth. It happens because of gaps of the walls or the perineum which was sewed. The pain occurs in the area of the seam because often its imposition affects the nerve endings. After the recovery period, the discomfort and pain no longer bother you.
- Dryness. One of the most unpleasant symptoms of this period is the dryness of the vagina after childbirth, which occurs as a result of lowered levels of estrogen. Lactating women feel it more frequently. Over time, this feeling will disappear.
- Itching. If after delivery the vagina starts itching, it’s better notto solve the problem on your own. This symptom may be an allergic response, a reaction to suture material or some kind of antiseptic, which was applied in the process of delivery. In any case, the the doctor should find out the reason and prescribe some treatment. Much worse is the situation if the itching is be accompanied by an unpleasant odor, that is inflammation.
- Odor. Putrid, musty odor from the vagina after childbirth, accompanied by itching or discharge may indicate the onset of inflammation in the uterus or the decay of the seams. This problem requires doctor's consultation and serious medication.
- Prolapse. In rare cases, pelvic floor muscles are so weak that they cannot hold the organs that are in them. Is the so-called prolapse of the vagina after childbirth, which vary in severity. This is the most serious postnatal complications that can happen to your vagina. In most cases it requires surgical intervention.
Any problem with the recovery of the vagina after childbirth has its explanation. If you and your doctor know what is happening in this period and take appropriate action, you can avoid unpleasant sensations, and your vagina will come back to normal.
The recovery period
The time of recovery of the vagina after childbirth takes from 6 to 8 weeks, but these terms depend on the individual characteristics of the organism and complications that arise after givingbirth. What to do to speed up rather than slow down the recovery process? Doctors give the following recommendations.
- To abstain from intimacy during this period. You need to you’re your vagina some time to heal the wound surface of the uterus, which is formed at the point of attachment of the placenta. During sex, this open wound can get infected, and then you can’t avoid the endometritis (inflammation of uterus). Therefore, during the first two months after birth try to avoid having sex.
- In order to quickly restore the vagina after childbirth, you need to train it, performing special exercises. Learn to alternately stretch and relax the muscles of vagina for 10 seconds.
- If worried about dryness, used a variety of gel lubricants during sex.
Now you know what happens to the vagina after childbirth, what changes it undergoes and how to quickly it recovers. With proper care for the body after childbirth, a woman will quickly return to normal condition, establish an intimate relationship with her husband and feel like a healthy and beautiful young mother.
- READ ALSO: What are childbirth traditions in Nigeria?