Suffering from gestational diabetes? Don't know any gestational diabetes meal plan ideas? Read the article to be ready to fight this disease in case it occurs.
Gestational diabetes is not a chronic disease, it occurs only at the time of being pregnant. The reason is that in the body of the future mother is not produced insulin. If insulin is below normal level, the sugar will be higher, and gestational diabetes will appear. The meal plan should consist of the important elements, such as:
- Carbohydrates - from 300 to 500 grams per day.
- High quality protein - 120 grams per day would be enough.
- In a limited quantity - up to 50-60 grams of fat per day.
- Total calorie intake, you consume per day should be at least 2,500 and a maximum of 3000 kcal. In addition, you need to inject insulin.
- The basic meal plan ideas for pregnant women with gestational diabetes:
- Eat fractionally. Organize your day so that you have three main meals and three snacks. Time between them should be 2.5-3 hours.
- Balance products so that during the day you eat 50% of carbohydrates, 30% of protein and 15-20% of fat.
- Train yourself to drink 1.5 liters of water per day.
- Prefer fruits and vegetables. Fruits are better absorbed in the morning, you can eat them for a snack, and vegetables in the second part of the day.
- Avoid simple carbs. They quickly raise the level of blood sugar and irritate the digestive tract. The most dangerous: juice, oat meal, genetically modified fruits and vegetables, sweets, cookies, cakes.
For breakfast cook porridge without milk as dairy products contain calcium, which is digested in 4-6 hours in the afternoon. Between the first and the last meal there should be no break for 10 hours. Give up sugar. You can replace it with aspartame and sucralose. The day norm should have two doses of protein meals as the protein is a building material for future baby.
Meal plan ideas with gestational diabetes
- Vegetables. You can eat everything, but exclude potatoes. It is useful to eat not only fresh but also boiled vegetables.
- Berries. Allowed ones: blueberries, strawberries, strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries and currants.
- Fruits. You can eat grapefruit, apples, plums, pears, peaches, apricots, grapes. They are good for your health and do not cause allergies.
- All cereals except oats, semolina and millet.
- Rye bread is an excellent choice.
You can then add some proteins to the menu:
- Meat - beef, veal, chicken, liver. In small quantities - lean pork, smoked sausages, bacon.
- Permitted sea and river fish - salmon, perch, carp, sardines, mackerel, pollock, capelin, herring, cod. Seafood - caviar, shrimps.
- Allowed vegetable products: mushrooms, legumes (peas, beans, soya beans), fresh herbs (parsley, garlic).
And finally in the diet should be present some fats. They help useful substances to be absorbed into the bloodstream. But you can eat only polyunsaturated oils that are found in nuts, seeds, olives, avocado and salmon. There will be enough of them.
Having defined the benefits of the products, you can make the menu on your own. The most famous diet for pregnant women with diabetes is - protein or protein-carbohydrate. All in all, hope now you know how to resist this unpleasant disease - gestational diabetes. These meal plan ideas will inevitably help you overcome all the consequences and symptoms. The only thing that you should do is to follow these quite simple rules and this way you may not worry about the possible risks for your baby's health.
- READ ALSO: What is diabetes diet plan?