People are wondering what homemade remedies for hiccups are. What tips are the best? Can you prevent hiccups? You’ll find out everything you wanted to know about hiccups remedies here!
Hiccup is a violation of the non-specific respiratory function that is the result of some jerky spasmodic contractions of the diaphragm and subjectively unpleasant manifested by short and also intense respiratory movements. Sometimes it happens in healthy people's bodies with no apparent cause and it is often a harmless, fast-ending event. However, if it’s not, you need to know homemade remedies for hiccups.
Hiccups may occur in the following circumstances, so the remedies are always different:
1. General cooling (usually in infants), especially when the person is drunk.
2. When a person has hyperextension of the stomach (full with food). According to some experts, such involuntary muscle contractions can come from the esophagus. Dysphagia and jam of food provoke esophageal spasms at the location where the esophagus starts entering the stomach.
3. Because of the stimulation of a person's phrenic nerve. The so-called ‘ordinary’ hiccup becomes a manifestation of a person's nervous tic. Such situation happens because of the influence of the phrenic nerve that (for unknown reasons) often conveys the excitement of the diaphragm muscles. It results the uncontrollable spasms.
Hiccups can also be a real symptom of different diseases as, for example, in case of irritation at the aperture inflammation in the peritoneal cavity. It may become a very long and painful process. Hiccups happen in certain disorders of the brain and also spinal cord. It can be often observed during the myocardial infarction, some infectious diseases and also mental stimulation.
In cases of very prolonged, persistent hiccups a person should consult his doctor, who can establish the cause of it and also prescribe the treatment. In renal insufficiency, the development can also be observed as constant or periodic hiccups. This situation is a unpleasant consequence of the development of an abscess or tumor in the chest, diaphragm and esophagus. Some people have hiccup due to psychological reasons, it resembles the well-known reaction with transient paralysis of some soldiers who experience fear before the fight. In such cases, hiccup is unconscious and reflects the desire to avoid a very unpleasant events. Some individuals suffer hiccups in the postoperative period, which may be a reaction to the painkillers.
READ ALSO: Is lemon good for fertility?
So people wonder what the reason for this phenomenon is. Despite the significant achievements in our medicine for a lot of years of hciccup's existence, they have not found a reliable treatment of minor spasm that causes human make sounds like a real street drunkard.
Do not worry; there is a couple of ways to solve this unpleasant problem.
The remedies for hiccups:
In order to get rid of the hiccups, it is necessary to stop the spasms of the diaphragm and esophagus. This can be done sometimes by distraction or even by breathing techniques. Usually, this is enough.
When you do not get rid of the hiccups, you should do something else to make it disappear. You should focus on your chest and diaphragm consciously tensing it up. But, straining and trying to suppress the following, expected attack of hiccups, you only complicate the situation. Here we recommend you a few proper techniques.
1. Swallow a small amount of something bitter or sour. If you get anything unusual in the digestive system spasms usually go away: try to suck a slice of lemon.
2. Try to get rid of hiccups in a reflex way. Put your finger on the throat so as if you were going to vomit. But in fact, no need to bring the activities to such an extent. Using this methos, you can certainly interrupt the steady rhythm of your hiccups.
3. Try to stifle hiccups with water. If you drink a large glass of water in small sips at a measured pace, you can put an end to your hiccups. In this way, you wash away the food debris from the bottom of the pharynx and perhaps eliminate the irritant action on the nerve that takes place in this area.
4. Drink some water in an inclined position of your body. This position of the ‘upside down’ implies a completely new approach to the remedies of hiccups. You should tilt your torso over the sink and start to sip a glass of clean water, moved away as far as possible from you.
5. Use the method of sudden fear; for example, frighten the victim with hiccup with pressurized cotton pack or, for example, a very loud shout. This may immediately terminate spasm.
6. Try the folk method of thread. Residents of the southern regions of Texas, Hispanics, are popular among the people getting rid of hiccups with red thread or strip material. They tie it around the kid's head in the area of forehead, the nose level. Perhaps the child directs his eyes to the thread and thus switches his attention. So this is exactly what is needed to stop the hiccups.
7. ‘Sweeten the pill’. Put a bit of sugar on the dorsum of your tongue and then swallow it, you can put a spoonful of sugar in a small amount of beer and after that, drink the mixture.
8. Hold the tongue. When you will be tormented with hiccups, open a mouth a little wider, then take the tongue, pull it out and hold for several seconds. Such a method of remedy for hiccups was preferred by the personal physician of American President Kennedy.
9. Betting is a favorite tool of a lot of doctors that, as they say, never fail in the case of the usual hiccups. When someone begins hiccuping, put the money on the table and bet, that he or she will not have hiccup the next minute. This person will not be able to have hiccup another time, without losing the bet. Once you stop trying to interrupt your hiccups, a whole range of other muscles come into play and cramps disappear.
The diagnosis is necessary to be done in the following cases:
- if hiccup lasts more than an hour;
- if the hiccup attacks occur a few times a day or a few days a week;
- if, in addition to hiccups, you have marked chest pain, sometimes heartburn or even swallowing disorders.
If you observe a very often hiccup or attacks for a long time, the doctor might prescribe you X-ray diagnosis after taking a mixture of barium for identifying any obstacles in the esophagus. To eliminate the hiccup that is permanent, and is really associated with no mechanical obstacle in the esophagus at all, the doctor might prescribe certain treatment, depending on the disorders.
An interesting fact that American Charles Osborne of Anton from Iowa, USA, had begun hiccupping in 1922. He had a normal life, he was married twice and also had eight kids, but his hiccups stopped only 68 years after, in 1990 (it became a Guinness World Record).
In any case all these methods are effective. The most important thing is to calm down, do not panic and do not constantly think about the result. It will appear. It is better to think about such philosophical question: could be hiccup a small trouble that has to make us stronger? If you are regularly tortured with hiccups and it does not stop for several hours, and the traditional methods do not help, you should be screened. The doctor will identify the cause of hiccups and prescribe appropriate therapy. Be healthy and find the proper remedy for continuous hiccups!
- READ ALSO: How to stop hiccups?