What are the best measures of taking care of your legs when you have diabetes? What are the best recipes for home remedies for diabetes foot care? Read the information below to learn more facts about how to take care of your health.
Foot care for diabetes
Such disease as diabetes causes specific pathological changes of the foot. ‘The syndrome of diabetic foot’ is a serious violation, which can lead to not less serious consequences at the absence of the correct preventive treatment. Because of the damage of nervous fibers and skin caused by the main disease, the foot becomes thinner, cracks are formed, and there is a hyperhidrosis. The injured skin is easily infected, water callosities and ulcers appear. Without the appropriate foot care with the syndrome of the diabetic foot can lead to a necrosis of skin and even amputation of the leg. At diabetes, you should pay special attention to the hygiene of legs. Use of prophylactics, timely treatment of injuries of the skin, and monthly visits to the expert will help to avoid complications. To turn daily diabetes foot care into the pleasant procedure, you can be trained to the manicure and a pedicure. Professional cosmetics well moisten dry skin of legs, doesn’t cause damage, bright nail gel will lighten your mood. During diabetes mellitus foot care it is necessary to follow several elementary rules.
Diabetes foot care tips
- Every evening it is necessary to wash legs with children's soap and light solution of potassium permanganate (water has to have a pink shade and not to be hot). The clean foot must be wiped carefully with a soft towel, having removed all moisture. Cover dried skin with bactericidal cream. Grease the intervals between fingers with vodka.
- Closely watch a condition of the nails on feet. It is necessary to cut nails once a week at the right angle. If you have poor eyesight or coordination of movements is complicated, it is necessary to use the help of relatives in order to avoid damages.
- Avoid any procedures connected with a softening and overheating of the skin of legs. At diabetes skin of foot is thinned and is subject to infections, therefore the bath and a sweating room, salt trays and gels for removal of callosities are under a ban for you.
- Wear only socks of cotton and the convenient footwear from natural leather, which isn't squeezing a foot. Boots and shoes need to be supplied with special soft insoles and you shouldn’t ever wear them on barefoot. Before leaving the house in new footwear, it needs to be felt carefully from inside regarding strange objects, which can injure skin and lead to the formation of damp callosities.
- Follow rules of personal hygiene when using public places, like the hotel, baths and so on. Don't go barefoot even if a floor seems clean to you. Fungal infection of the foot at diabetes can lead to serious consequences up to gangrene. Don't try footwear in shop barefoot and don't use someone else's socks, slippers, and street footwear.
- If you have noticed that you have the grown nail, a crack or foot wound, and calves pains when walking, full or partial loss of sensitivity of feet, it is necessary to address the expert quickly. The surgeon or the endocrinologist can give you help, and it is better to visit the specialized office for patients with diabetes. Avoid self-medication and do not follow recommendations of the people who don't have medical education – friends and relatives, representatives of advertising and traditional medicine.
READ ALSO: Is honey good for diabetics?
Diabetes foot care products
- Care of legs in house conditions doesn't demand big efforts. Having come home after work, just take a foot bath with the addition of sea salt and essential oils. It will help to be relaxed from work, to rest, and the most important – to soften soles of legs. If baths seem burdensome to you, just rub soles with a lemon slice. Its acid will soften the horny sites of skin.
- Ask somebody to do massage of feet, especially placing emphasis on fingers and places between them. Use nutritious foot cream. Massage will help to get rid of fatigue. Besides, there are active points on feet, influencing which it is possible to improve the health.
- After intense work day fill a bathtub with cool water. It is possible to add 3 drops of lavender oil and 1 drop of mint oil and to bathe legs about 15 minutes in it.
- Boil a potato peel and warm legs in this broth. Skin of legs will become soft and elastic. Duration of acceptance of a tray is 20-25 min. After that wash legs with warm water, and use castor oil.
- The other foot care products are 10 drops of cypress oil and 20 ml of the gel of an aloe. Put it on legs and do massage very carefully.
- At care of legs don't forget to use scrubs for the foot.
- Use foot baths with an additional cleaning of heels by means of sea salt, the processed stones of fruit and berries.
- To prevent developing of an infection in cracks of foot and to avoid fungal diseases, do foot baths with an addition of a calendula.
- The good healing effect is made by baths of infusion of a St. John's Wort (add 2 tablespoons of a St. John's Wort per 1 liter of water).
- If cracks are quite deep, take them in the warm solution of starch before going to bed (2 tablespoons of starch per one liter). Keep legs for 15 minutes in the solution, wipe them and grease with nutritious cream.
- Soak linen fabric in warm tealeaves and soap it. Wind fabric with a plastic bag and put on all night long. Repeat it 3-4 times.
- For care of the burst skin of feet the traditional medicine offers the following compress: put the apple in the boiling milk (1 glass) and cook within 10 minutes. Remove a thin skin and a core, knead a pulp and add 2-3 drops of castor oil. Put it on heels, wind them with a towel and lay for a half an hour. After it, wash everything away and use softening cream. Repeat the procedure till healing. Besides, apple compresses perfectly take off fatigue.
- READ ALSO: Diabetes Mellitus: causes and consequences