What are the common reasons of a stomach ulcer at people and animals? What is the connection between people stress and natural features of a zebra? Read the information below to learn more facts about the health problem.
A stomach ulcer is a chronic disease, at which there are ulcer defective tumors in a mucous membrane of a stomach. Most often the ulcer occurs at men aged from 20 up to 50 years. The character of a chronic course of an ulcer is shown by a frequent recurrence during the spring and autumn period. As a rule, frequent stresses, which strain work of nervous system of the person causing spasms of muscles and blood vessels in the digestive tract, are the reason of stomach ulcers. Therefore, there is a violation of nutrition. Gastric juice, in turn, begins to have the harmful effect on a mucous membrane that leads to the formation of an ulcer.
Ulcers symptoms and reasons
The ulcer doesn't develop without a number of additional factors:
- Stresses and depressions. At the same time, there is a violation of functions of the autonomic nervous system with the prevalence of a tone of the nerve. It, in turn, causes a spasm of muscles and blood vessels of a stomach. As a result, it stays without good nutrition and becomes vulnerable to the effect of hydrochloric acid: stomach walls begin to be digested caustic gastric juice. The ulcer is formed because of:
- Bad heredity,
- Improper feeding: use of rough and spicy food. At the same time production of hydrochloric acid increases,
- Abuse of alcohol. Alcohol increases aggressive properties of gastric juice and reduces protective properties of a mucous membrane,
- Smoking. Nicotine strengthens production of hydrochloric acid, interferes with normal digestion of food, damages stomach walls, and breaks development of protection mucous of a stomach in a pancreas,
- The uncontrolled taking some drugs.
READ ALSO: Can constipation cause back pain?
Symptoms of ulcers
- First of all, the person is signaled about emergence and development of stomach ulcer with pain in the top half of stomach ulcer. Night pains, at which the person needs to eat something, to extinguish pain, disturb.
- Pains at stomach ulcer have accurate rhythm (time of emergence is connected to meals), frequency (alternation of pains with the periods of their absence) and seasonality of aggravations (in the spring and in the autumn). It is characteristic that pains at stomach ulcer decrease or disappear after the meal.
- One of the frequent symptoms of the stomach ulcer is a heartburn, which usually arises 2-3 hours later after food. Nausea, vomiting, an eructation, and locks – these nonspecific symptoms can also testify to an ulcer. Appetite at stomach ulcer is usually kept or is even increased. It is so-called 'painful feeling of hunger'.
- Keep in mind, that in certain cases the ulcer can proceed asymptomatically!
- If not to treat a disease, ulcer defect extends deep into stomach walls. This process can come to the end with life-threatening complications for the person: a perforation, at which the through the opening or bleeding is formed in a wall of a stomach or a gut.
Why zebras don't get ulcers?
American doctor Robert Sapolsky is convinced that human ability to prepare for the future and to worry about it is both the blessing and damnation. Blessing consists of preventive and preparatory behavior, and damnation is that our tendency to worry about the future causes a constant stress.
Evolutionarily people are predisposed to react and to avoid threat like zebras. We have to relax the most part of the day and run as mentally ill people only at danger’s approach. The zebra has an acute stressful reaction (physical threats) from time to time. At people, on the contrary, chronic stressful reaction (psychological threats) seldom reaches such sizes as at a zebra but doesn't disappear anywhere.
Zebras perish quickly, falling into clutches of predators. People die more slowly: from coronary heart disease, cancer, and other diseases arising because of chronic stressful reactions. But when the stress is predictable, and you can control the reaction, it influences on the development of diseases not so strongly.
These and many other questions concerning stress and controlling of it are mentioned in the book of professor ‘Why zebras don't get ulcers.’ This book is widespread in many bookstores. You can easy recognize white bright cover with zebras pictures.
- READ ALSO: Stomach Ulcer: What is the effect?