Think only men possess riches? You are mistaken, as today there are many extremely wealthy women out there and some of them come from Africa.
There are so many talented people living in Nigeria. You can find wealthy and worldwide famous ones among them. However, if you think that it concerns only male population, you are completely wrong. It might be hard to believe, but there are plenty of women, who have managed to achieve popularity and success. It will probably be interesting to know about the richest black women.
It is not a secret that many black people are in the Forbes list nowadays. Every black person has the same rights and opportunities as everyone else in the world. Moreover, in modern times, even a girl can become one of the richest black women.
World richest women’s advice
It is essential to understand that it isn’t easy to get into billionaires list, especially if you are female. However, everything is possible. Let’s look at the tips, given by the world richest black people, which can help you to make your dreams come true. They are as follows:
- Develop appropriate qualities. To become rich, you must be patient, disciplined, and consistent. Such traits of character are essential. Without them, even good idea and a huge amount of money might turn into failure.
- Save money. Remember, a wealthy person is not always the one who get richer. You may have nothing. But saving a small sum may help you to develop something profitable and interesting and earn much more. It's vital to learn how to be economical. Billionaires always know the worth of money.
- Do not be afraid of investments. Many richest African women have started as investors. It does not mean that you should give all your money. Start from the smallest amount you can afford. Nevertheless, you must select a good company or product, which will become popular and profitable for you. It might be helpful to write down your aim and keep it in front of your eyes all the time. In such case, it will work as a motive and stimulus.
- Start your business. Here you need strength, confidence, and a certain sum of money. It's important to choose good product, which will be sold successfully. You may also need good advertisement and, of course, initial clients. You must have people, who are already interested in your product.
- Control yourself. Learn how to keep money and not to spend it. Some things as email notifications about sales might be very attractive. Thus, you must be very strict to yourself, if you really want to become the next richest black woman.
So, these are the most important tips that must be considered. They will allow you to get more disciplined, economical, and purposeful.
Richest black women
Now let’s find out, who has managed to become the wealthiest female and got into 2015 Forbes list. They are:
- Folorunsho Alakija.
This Nigerian woman has two main sources of income – oil and fashion. It is hard to believe, but her net worth totals almost 2 billion dollars. She is considered the first Nigerian female billionaire. She initiated her business in 1970s. During that time, she was focused on her fashion studies in England. Folorunsho Alakija is a founder of Supreme Stitches, which deals with high society fashion. Besides, she founded Famfa Oil.
- Isabel dos Santos.
She is the wealthiest female in Africa and one of the Forbes richest black women. Many people may say that she has inherited her money from her father (the president of Angola). However, it is not true. She is an extremely successful investor. She owns 25% in Unitel (mobile company) and 25% in Banco Bic SA. There are several other smaller investments. Her net worth comprises more than $3 billion by now.
- Oprah Winfrey.
It is hard to find anyone, who has never heard her name. She is very popular in mass media. Besides, it is the main source of her income. This woman is one of the richest African-Americans. She has a daytime TV show, which makes the major part of her profit. It has started more than 20 years ago and is still very popular. Oprah also owns Harpo production company. She is very concerned about education and spends lots of money on it. She supports educational courses. Moreover, she has built Learning Academy for girls in South Africa.
- Hajia Bola Shagaya.
This is another Nigerian woman, who has appeared to be prominent. She is the head of conglomerate, which has holdings in banking, real estate, oil, communications, and even photography companies. She has started her career as an office worker in one of Nigerian banks (auditing department). And by 1983, she had already managed some business enterprises. Though her net worth hasn’t been estimated, she owns properties in both Europe and the US. Thus, we can say, she is a good entrepreneur.
- Sheila Crump Johnson.
She is thought to be the first African-American female billionaire. This woman is a co-founder of Black Entertainment Television network. Her net worth totals $400 million. After the divorce, she got into investment. Nowadays she has holdings in national hockey team, WNBA and NBA teams, luxury resorts, and so on.
Her full name is Beyoncé Knowles-Carter. She is one of the most popular and successful recording artists, known worldwide. It might surprise you, but she has started her career at the age of nine. During that time, she was singing in a band. However, she has become much more prominent as a solo artist. It is possible to say, she is a self-made billionaire. She signed million dollars endorsement deal with Pepsi as well as many other corporations. Moreover, she has created her own line of clothing and fragrances. Beyoncé cooperates with several famous fashion houses. In 2008, she founded management and production company called Parkwood Entertainment.
- Ngina Kenyatta.
She is known as Mama Ngina. She is a widow of Kenyan president Jomo Kenyatta. It is impressive that being in her eighties, she still controls family business, which deals with banking, manufacturing, real estate, farming, and many other things. Moreover, this female is the main shareholder of one of the privately owned Kenyan banks and several hotels.
- Wendy Appelbaum.
She was a director of insurance and real estate company in South Africa (owned by her father). However, she hasn’t just inherited her money. She has invested in several profitable ventures, which has brought her millions of dollars. She was Women’s Investment Portfolio Holdings Limited chairman. Her current net worth is almost $300 million.
- Bridgette Radebe.
She is mining firm founder. Her business specializes in gold, coal, platinum and uranium. She started her career working in one of the South African mining companies. Besides, she is an owner of some firms dealing with investment in Sub-Saharan mining.
- Nicki Minaj.
She is a female rapper, whose net worth is more than $40 million. She was born in Trinidad and Tobago. She is now very well known worldwide.
As you see, there are so many black women, who have reached great success. These female moguls have done a lot to get to the top. Africa may be proud of its talents, as well as Nigeria, because some of its citizens are even listed in Forbes.
Everyone can become rich and known throughout the world. All you need is to work on yourself and not to be afraid of trying something new. Remember that failures never stops real champions.