Nigeria gives us many reasons to love it. It is a blessed and rich land. Find out what Nigeria is famous for in the world.
Nigeria is very rich and prosperous country. Though it is still developing, it has managed to achieve many things since the time of getting independence. It is not only the land, but also notable Nigerians and various branches of industry, which have made it very well known in the world. If you are eager to find out what is Nigeria famous for, you must know about the history of Nigeria, its culture, traditions, and native people.
This country has a very strong sense of identity. Plenty of tribes live here and do their best to preserve their native customs, religion, and even language. Despite this fact, Nigeria is also a modern country, popular for its artists, musicians, actors, and so on.
Nature and resources of Nigeria
First thing, what is Nigeria famous for is its wonderful nature. Even if you look at the flag and Coat of Arms, you'll be able to see the symbolic colors of vast forests and agricultural sector, as well as colorful and bright flowers, which grow all over Nigeria, expressing its beauty and prosperity. Besides, there are several natural wonders here. Their list includes the following:
- Ogbunike Cave. It's situated in Ogbunike. There are several sections there, each of which has its own interesting history and guides. There is a hemispheric vault of rock at the entrance, while the inside vault is serene and looks like a wonderland.
- Yankari Game Reserve. It is the richest wildlife oasis in the country, situated in Bauchi State. With more than 300 elephants living there, it is the biggest remnant population of them in whole Nigeria. Total area comprises about 2.2 sq. km. There are also plenty of buffalos, lions, hippos, hartebeests, and roans there.
- Confluence of Niger and Benue Rivers. It is a striking view. Two rivers, which flow into Atlantic Ocean, meet at Lokoja. They have different colors – greenish and brownish ones. Tourists are allowed to watch this beautiful phenomenon from the board of cruise ships.
- Okomu Wildlife Sanctuary. It is considered one of the largest Nigerian wildlife reserves. It’s a natural wonder, which has given home to such animals as buffalos, monkeys, chimpanzees, horn bills, and even the white throated monkey.
- Ikogosi Springs. This natural wonder might be found in Ekiti State. Warm springs rise from a valley, while cold ones flow down from the other source side by side but separate from warm spring. They meet in a pool, but each of them preserves its thermal identity.
As we have mentioned, there're lots of various resources in this country, which cannot be forgotten. The most widespread are as follows:
- Oil and gas. They are probably the main one in Nigeria. This country's very rich in them, especially the southern states. You may find oil and gas in River, Delta, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Edo, Imo, and Abia States.
- Gold. This very valuable resource is also mined in Nigeria. You can find it in Sokoto or Ilesha.
- Coal. It is an important resource, which is also transported abroad. Most part of it is located in Enugu.
- Palm oil. It is very widely applied both in Nigeria and beyond its borders. Thus, it can also be exported. The following states have it: Delta, Imo, Cross River, Rivers, and Kogi.
- Rice. It's part of Nigerian culture. There are plenty of dishes cooked from it. It is grown in Ogoja, Ekiti, and Abakiliki.
These are common resources, which must be mentioned. There are much more of them, such as marble, tin, ignite, etc. However, they are rarer.
READ ALSO: 10 sexiest Nigerian girls
Population of Nigeria
Nigeria is famous for its population. First, total number of it is more than 170 million people. It makes it the biggest country in the whole West Africa. Moreover, it takes the seventh place in the world ranking. That’s why it is often called the giant of Africa. It is said that one of 40 people on the globe comes from Nigeria.
Speaking about it, we cannot miss Lagos, the former capital of the state (after the division it has become the capital of Lagos State). It is the largest city not only in Nigeria, but also in Africa. It keeps growing more and more modern. It also thought to be the most populated urban agglomeration in the world.
Now let’s look at the population itself. There are so many talented people in this country, which have made it prominent. Consider the following:
Wole Soyinka. He is Yoruba born poet and playwright. He has had a great influence on Nigerian culture. In 1986, he even got a noble prize in Literature. Moreover, he was the first African, who has been honored by this. Nigerians are very proud of this man, who has done do much for the country.
Bukola Elemide (Asa). She was born in Paris but then came to Nigeria. Her songs are full of Africa, its everyday life. She is a new singer of soul, pop and reggae music. People often compare her with Tracy Chapman.
Mallam Nuhu Ribadu. This man has done a lot for politics in Nigeria. He is a former government anti-corruption official. Besides, he has made lots of efforts to stop corruption and fraud. He obtained Master of Laws degree at Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria. In 2010, he announced, he was going to run for President of the country.
Opeyemi Enoch. You have probably heard of him. He is a teacher from Federal University Oye-Ekiti, who has claimed to resolve Riemann problem. It is hard to believe that after more than 150 years of thinking, it is a Nigerian, who has managed to deal with it. However, the years may pass before his solution might be accepted.
Pete Edochie. He's thought to be the greatest Nollywood actor ever. He has starred in more than 200 films. In 1967, he joined Broadcasting Corporation of Nigeria. In 1980, he already trained as a broadcaster in the BBC. He has done much for entertainment industry of the country. He has received lots of awards and national honors. Even nowadays Pete is very active. He is a prominent actor, known in Africa.
Kanu Nwankwo. He is the most famous Nigerian football player of all times. He started playing for Iwuayanwu National. However, in 1993, his true talents were discovered and he was invited to play at junior world cup. He was very valuable player, and in 1996, he represented Nigeria during Olympics in Atlanta. That time Nigeria got a gold medal, while Kanu received a title of the best player in tournament. Besides, he is two times winner of the award called African footballer of the year. Moreover, once he was rated one of the best footballers in the world (among other twenty).
You see how many wonderful and prominent people live in Nigeria. Everyone must be proud of them and of the country.
Nigeria, being one of the most populous countries in the world, is known for many things. There are many interesting facts about Nigeria, which must be known by every citizen. You should remember how beautiful and unique the nature is and try to save it, how many resources there are on its fertile land. Besides, great number of people, born in Nigeria, has managed to gain success and to make this country a world known one. You should obligatory know their names and feel very proud of them.
It's essential to remember your heritage and traditions. Thus, you will be able to preserve the culture of your native country and to popularize it.