Who created Instagram? We so often use Instagram, but until now do not know anything about its creators. A bit ashamed. Let's look together! I tried very hard, and it will be interesting!
Today only babies and some Indian tribes of the Amazon do not know about Instagram. Yeep! After all, this is the app for quick editing and posting the photo has made a truly spectacular career. The application, much of which was created literally "on the knee" and in just a week, was bought by Facebook for $ 1 billion two years later.
In recent years, Instagram has not only become one of the most beloved by many social networks but also entered the list of the most famous in the world of websites. More specifically, it takes 21 places in the rating across the US and 41 in the top of the world.
Instagram has become the largest acquisition of Facebook, which has provided support for the noticeable impact on its development. In April 2012, after the accession to Facebook, Instagram audience had grown to 80 million users, and this figure continues to grow.
Nowadays, Instagram is not just a collection of a selfie. This is an excellent service that allows brands to find buyers (through video and sponsored photos), celebrities lay out beautiful photos from all ceremonies and parties, and ordinary users to discover own creativity and share their ideas with the world. Everyone can find certain advantages of using Instagram for business, communication, and entertainment. Through the integration of images from Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Flickr, as well as the launch of Instagram Direct, Instagram has become the most interesting from a functional point of view of social networking.
Kevin Systrom has a fascinating biography, and it seems he was born to be famous =)
Child of the Internet boom
Kevin Systrom was born in December 1983 in Holliston, Massachusetts. His background refers to the so-called WASP, «the white Anglo-Saxon Protestants." Several generations of his ancestors lived in different parts of the northeastern United States and worked to great corporations.
Thus, the father of the future billionaire Douglas Systrom was a professional personnel officer: at the time of the birth of his son Kevin, he served in a regional Bank of New England as a specialist in HR, and until recently served as vice president for personnel issues in a massive TJX network. Kevin's mother Diana the last 30 years work in marketing, the last place of work carsharing service - Zipcar. Her mother (Kevin's grandmother) worked in corporations such as Standard Oil and the Western Union, and in retirement became active in the Protestant community.
Kevin Systrom was born in the family of managers and brought up in the spirit of the Protestant ethic. From childhood, he was interested in the business world. He often accompanied his mother to the marketing events organized by her Systrom family was quite wealthy, and parents were able to arrange Kevin in prestigious private school - Middlesex.
At various times it finished Pulitzer laureate Conrad Aiken, former candidate for US vice-presidential Republican Henry Cabot Lodge and the candidate for vice-president of the libertarian William Weld.
Kevin chose computer science from several subjects in-depth study. According to The Wall Street Journal, a considerable influence on the boy had his uncle, who worked a software developer, who has occasionally given Kevin his laptop since 1995, so he practiced programming skills.
After a few years, in the United States started the Internet boom became to inflate the dotcom bubble. There were an enormous number of new online services, and the old corporation began hastily get websites in the USA. For example, in 1999, Kevin's mother helped to start the company's web page Eastpak (sells backpacks and suitcases), in which she was working at that time. By that time, a high school student Kevin Systrom already knew, that he wants to deal with the Internet and computerization.
Diploma of Stanford
By the year 2002 Systrom graduated from the elite school in Massachusetts, had a good experience of amateur programming, and even a little work experience - he worked in a music store in downtown Boston. Inspired, by the close collaboration with Stanford University in Silicon Valley companies, Kevin moved to California and successfully enrolled in Stanford.
As the edition notes Eyerys, Systrom originally intended to engage in computer science, but classes at the university seemed to him too theoretical, and he changed his specialization in management and design. After four years of study, he received a bachelor's degree in administration and engineering. Before the fourth last year at Stanford, Kevin decided to try the program on Mayfield Fellows. Each year, several California universities it can recruit 12 students who are taught the theory and practice of creation and management of large technology companies during the academic year.
Systrom was recognized as a worthy candidate, so he has successfully passed a competition for the Mayfield Fellows and got an internship in the newly created company Odeo. On the basis of this service to set up and search for podcasts (information Audio and video) in a few years will create a microblogging network Twitter. In four months internship at Odeo, Systrom successfully practiced in the creation of interface elements, and then returned to Stanford to complete their education.
At that time, he began to receive tempting job offers (in particular, from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg), but a young professional still decided to get a bachelor's degree without the distraction by work.
The first work in Google
After finishing his studies, Kevin accepted Google's offer, which was the undisputed leader among the young start-ups in Silicon Valley. It is at that time already went to stock market, and even managed to get into the index S & P 500. The first two years Systrom was promoting projects Google (mail, calendar, and spreadsheet documents), then entered the corporate development group.
After Systrom resigned from Google - largely due to the corporate atmosphere, which, as it seemed to him ruined in people the desire for individual entrepreneurship.
"I've always had this desire, and I wanted to reclaim the social space," - later recalled Sistrom.
For a while, he worked as a Product Manager in the company Nextstop, which deals with social guides.
As a businessman recognized in conversation with Forbes in 2012, working in Nextstop, he was actively thought about creating his own application. If during his studies at Stanford University and work at Google, Kevin has been programming in his spare time and practicing, but now he is developed the concept of a startup purposefully during his free time.
Instagram. The beginning of story
But today I want to talk more about the founder of Instagram, a young guy from Massachusetts. The fact of the appearance of Instagram we should be just an American student at Stanford - Kevin Systrom literally raved ideas explosive startups. However, for so long his thoughts have been dreams: he diligently attended specialized seminars, met with entrepreneurs and venture capitalists, and absorbed the ideas "fast start."
In January 2010, at a party, Systrom showed a prototype of his application venture investor Steve Anderson. This application was called Burbn, and it was named after the American whiskey. Steve Anderson was interested in the idea of a young businessman, and Anderson has promised to invest in the project $ 250 000. But with the proviso that Systrom will find a business partner.
Finally, with the filing of a well-known businessman (and grants of $ 250,000), he decided to create application - Burbn, which would combine in itself some features of social networks, geo-targeting capabilities and photographing. I must say that Kevin has always been a good photographer. A lot of useful things for the project made his loyal assistant: Kevin Systrom gets acquainted with Mike Krieger, who at that time worked on the project Meebo (the site for communication).
A little persuasion, a mountain of promises and a lot of prospects - this is probably the best answer on how exactly Kevin persuaded Krieger to abandon his past work and concentrate on developing Burbn.
The first disappointments
Now it sounds a bit funny, but the first experience of joint work was awful: very soon Systrom bluntly said to Krieger that their idea with Burbn on the brink of failure. Burbn was pushed into a corner, and companions have taken feeble attempts to create other similar applications. But the result was not pleased. It was the time of depression and despair. However, it became for the best, because it was the beginning of new successful project in one of those sad evenings.
The wonderful idea came up to Kevin: needed a service that could transform even the most low-quality photos and make them extremely attractive.
"We needed easy-to-use filters that would have turned any user of the mobile device in a veteran photographer."
That same evening, Kevin Systrom was created first but is still far from the last filter in the history of Instagram.
The explosive start
Companions have created the first version of Instagram, working hard on the project. At night, October 6, 2010, the creators of Instagram posted in the App Store (first application was only available for Apple products). This date should be carved in golden letters in the history of Instagram because then began some incredible "carousel". Immediately was appeared the first people who started to download the free application. Before dawn, future millionaires worked hard, taking care that the servers "did not fall" under the weight of the unexpected influx of visitors. In the morning the news of the appearance of Instagram published reputable sources like the Bits Blog and TechCrunch.
This caused a wave of new visitors, which was the limit for servers: they could barely withstand the load. In the first days, the application downloaded 25,000 members that have become one of the highest in the history of the App Store. It became clear that Instagram became adopted by users, and is an urgent need to take measures to ensure its functioning. Over time, the team has replenished. There were manager Josh Riedel, an engineer Shane Sweeney and promoter Jessica Zollman in the team. The wheel began to turn.
Continuation of the glorious way
The popularity of Instagram was growing like a snowball, thanks in no small measure contributed rapidity of the team. They understood that the need to continually develop their "offspring" because users will begin to turn away from them. So, very soon they made following enhancements and releases:
- In January 2011 was introduced use hashtags, much simplify the search of a particular photo of subjects.
- In September 2011 was announced version 2.0, which is surprisingly pleased people by living filters, change of optional borders, high-resolution photos, and other necessary functions.
- Finally, in April 2012 was launched the long-awaited version for Android, which only per one day users was downloaded over 1 million times. The impressive figure.
Facebook buys Instagram
We have even now the tense debate about this. Is correctly did Mark Zuckerberg when he bought enough unprofitable service for a billion? Yes, yes! Despite its great fame, Instagram has not been profitable yet. Someone says that it is a real "bubble," someone praises a foresight founder of Facebook. In any case, the fact remains: April 9, 2012, Instagram was bought by Mark Zuckerberg for $ 1 billion. Moreover, $ 300 million was transferred in cash, and the remaining amount was issued shares Facebook. In an instant, Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger turned from enthusiastic guys in torn jeans to multimillionaires.
By the way, they are working in Instagram now. Despite the fact that they have big proceeds and this money is more than enough for a comfortable life until old age, they still have not given up their project. Now they have the primary task - to develop monetization system that would make Instagram not only very expensive "toy" but a profitable piece.
Today, Instagram allows you not only to take photos, but also shoot video. This application is already integrated with Facebook, Vkontakte, and several other social networks. Not so long ago an application was made available for Windows Phone 8 users. Instagram has new features for users and social inclusion. Instagram does not lose the position, continuously increasing speed and possibilities, and promises its followers much more useful innovations.
Kevin Systrom in figures:
- $ 1.1 billion of wealth
- 40 filters offer a service for photo processing
- 500 million registered users in Instagram on June 2016
- 90% Instagram users are people under 35 years
- 80% of users are outside the US
- $ 250 000 the first investment in the service
- $ 715 million posted for the purchase of Instagram Facebook
- Up to $ 3.2 billion advertising revenue can bring Instagram in 2016
- 10.6% - share of income of the Instagram in the Facebook revenue per January-March 2016
Especially for my readers, I have found 25 facts about Instagram and its creator – Kevin Systrom that every user should know:
1. The creator of Instagram Kevin Systrom working on site Nextstop, and put forward the idea of creating mobile HTML5 application that allows the user to: check in, plan own business, post pictures and more. Despite the fact that he had received $ 500 million from venture capital fund Anderssen Horowitz to create Burbn project, most people like to share photos. Burbn ceased to function in order to Instagram could exist and develop.
2. Before getting a job at Nextstop, Kevin Systrom offered a job at Google, as well as he trained at Odeo, which developed Twitter. In 2004, Mark Zuckerberg offered him the opportunity to work with Facebook. But Systrom refused and got funding of his own project, which eventually was acquired by Facebook for $ 1 billion in April 2012.
3. Co-founder Mike Krieger was born in Brazil and met with Kevin Systrom while studying at Stanford.
4. Instagram was officially launched on October 6, 2010, for an iPhone app. For a month in social networks has been registered one million users, Foursquare and Twitter have spent 2 years to achieve a similar result.
5. According to the data during January 2014 in Instagram was registered 150 million active users, 16 billion sharing of a photo, daily users post 55 million photos and 1.2 billion likes.
6. 20 June 2013 Instagram added the function of shooting a 15-second video in order not to lose customers and compete with the Vine. For the first 24 hours after the launch 5 million videos were uploaded.
7. Ten of the most popular brands on Instagram per January 2014: Nike, Starbucks, NBA, Adidas Originals, TopShop, Forever 21, Vans, NFL, Michael Kors and GoPro.
8. Ten of the most famous companies in the number of sharing branded video (statistics for the period September 9 - October 9 does not include music and television videos, films):
- MTV — 134,110
- NBA — 68,463
- Peanuts — 43,227
- GoPro — 35,097
- Miami Heat — 28,465
- Wendy’s — 23,833
- Topshop — 23,347
- Starbucks — 22,035
- ABC — 21,782
- HBO’s Girls — 21,769
9. Top 10 branded accounts with the largest number followers:
- National Geographic - 3,726,303
- Victoria's Secret - 3,640,340
- The Ellen Show - 3,483,363
- Nike - 3,166,010
- Forever 21 - 2,446,839
- Louboutin - 2,062,447
- 9GAG - 2,024,096
- Starbucks 1,919,068
- MTV - 1,916,114
- NBA - 1,777,980
10. In August 2013 the average user spent 257 minutes in Instagram. For comparison - 169.9 minutes was spent on Twitter.
11. In October 2013 was published 35 million selfie. Most of them belong to Kylie Jenner - 451 photos per month.
12. On average, among 33 "likes" users write 1 comment
13. Every second in Instagram users put 8500 likes and publish 1000 comments.
14. Most often, users post pictures, without using filters.
15. Photos with Mayfair are gaining the most likes and comments.
16. The most popular hashtag in 2013: #love.
17. 60% Instagram audience living outside the United States. However, this country is in the lead on attendance figures: more than 33% of active users registered in the United States. It is followed by Brazil (5.6%), the UK (3.8%), Russia (3.5%) and Mexico (3.2%).
18. More than 90% users of Instagram has not yet turned 35 years old, 28% are in the age group 18-29.
19. 23% of teens have confirmed that Instagram is the most favorite social network.
READ ALSO: Rihanna and Beyonce: Who is sexier?
20. 68% of users Instagram are women.
21. Despite the fact that Instagram has been developed for the iPhone and in 2011 was voted the best application according to Apple iTunes, the percentage of using the service on iOS and Android is 50/50.
22. 9 out of 10 sharing video occur through Facebook.
23. The number of likes is increased by 24% when the photograph has more blue color
24. The most active Instagram day in 2013 was Thanksgiving Day, which coincided with the date of Hanukkah.
25. Difficult to believe, but 37% of users have never posted photos. 25% have downloaded an average of 1-3 photographs, and 5% have published more than 50 images.
- READ ALSO: What are the best bad breath remedies?