We all need love, love, love… But what is it and how can we get or give it? Learn now.
This is feeling, which accompanies us throughout our life. However, the majority of us cannot say what is the meaning of love. Of course, it might be different – the way our parents feel towards us, how woman does towards man etc. There exist so many kinds of it that it's not easy to give definition.
To answer what is the meaning of love, let’s observe the term. It may be described as a strong feeling of affection, great interest and pleasure in someone, which is based on personal connections or sexual desire. If you are eager to find out what is the full meaning of love you will need to observe all the existing kinds of it.
Types of love
Nowadays there is number of various kinds of this beautiful feeling. The most common ones include:
Family. It's known as storge. Any mother or father can experience such kind of feeling towards the child. The same is when a kid has affection to grannies, aunts, uncles, etc. It rests on family ties.
To ourselves. It is called philautia. It may have a definition of self-respect. However, it isn’t narcissism, but the joyful feeling of being true to your own values. It means people can care of themselves and have enough strength to care of others.
Of humanity. It's mostly known as agape. This is when you feel sorrow or grieve, because other people (or even nations) suffer. In such cases, we may spend our money for charity. This feeling makes us percept connected with the others even if we have not met them.
Romantic/erotic. Often referred to as eros. Type is based upon sex or at least sexual attraction. It may finally turn into the other type of love – pragma.
Enduring or pragma. Usually appears within the marriage. It is lasting despite of pain or sickness. Love between old friends may be also called like this.
Playful affection. Known as ludus, this mostly concerns flirting. It's kind of testing what it is like to be in love. It's very sweet and pleasant feeling, which many of us experience when we start dating.
Shared experience. For people, who have the same goals as we are, we feel love as well. Mutual efforts make affection even stronger. It is frequently called philia.
Relationships between humans are very complex, that’s why it is so essential to observe them individually from different sides.
You already know, love possesses various kinds. However, we can distinguish certain general features of it. They include:
Pleasure. It concerns not only sexual one. Emotional satisfaction is more important.
Treating Others Well. When you love, you get happy. You desire to share your joy with your beloveds and the whole world. It doesn't matter, whether you love your child or your husband. Listening and understanding are the key things in building strong relations with your beloved ones.
Caring. The deeper your relations and emotional ties, the more care you need to show. Children, who have been growing in love, become happier. Express your care in different ways. When we do so, we feel more spiritually connected. It concerns all kinds.
Qualities of love
We can say love possesses several inherent qualities, which are as follows:
Complete acceptance. We love people as they are, don’t intend to change them. We never say that something isn't good in them.
Selfless. No egoism is possible. True love doesn't ask anything in return. It is ready for sacrifice. We aren’t falling in love to fulfill our needs. We do everything for love's sake.
Absence of conditions. The meaning of unconditional love refers to fact that we feel affection despite of any negative features of a person. Never mind what s/he says – it won't influence how we feel. However, if your relationships depend of such insignificant things as words, it is completely conditional thing. We cannot even call it love.
Loneliness elimination. When we love, we stop feeling lonely. We must stop judging the others to love. Separation vanishes.
No limits. We do not need to bound people. Moreover, there are not any restrictions for us – we can love whomever we want. These simple rules concern both romantic and family relations.
To love is more important than to be loved. We can experience real happiness only when we feel something ourselves. If anyone has affection towards you, but you are indifferent, it will have no effect on your life. What all of us really need is to give ourselves.
READ ALSO: What is love lyrics in Nigeria.
Biblical meaning of love
Christianity has its own definition of love. God, who has died for us, is true love. God chose to love us, it was not based upon our merits. Thus, this feeling is understood on this basis.
In accordance with 1 Corinthians 13, in case, if you have faith or even can speak in languages of men and angels, but don't have love – you're nothing. If you give away everything to others without love – you’ll gain nothing.
Let’s observe their love description:
- love is patient (it means that instant passion is not love),
- it’s kind (you become happy and kind to everyone),
- it does not envy (those, who love, will never get envy, but happy for others),
- it doesn't boast,
- it isn't proud (there is no arrogance),
- it doesn't dishonor other people,
- it is not self-seeking (no egoism, as we've said),
- it is not so easily angered (wrath is a sin),
- it keeps no record of wrongs (stay patient and accept all the pros and cons),
- love does not delight in evil, it rejoices with truth (honesty and sincerity are key things),
- it always protects, trusts, hopes, perseveres,
- it never fails (it lasts forever despite of all the troubles).
Where there are prophecies – they will cease; where there are tongues – they'll be stilled; where there is knowledge – it will pass away. (…) These three remain: faith, hope, and love. And love is considered the greatest.
These very beautiful and sincere words reflect true nature of such feeling. They unite everything that has been said before. There is nothing to do with evil and egoism here, love is only light, faith, hope, and kindness.
How to love
It probably seems obvious, but there are plenty of people, who need advice. For them, we offer the following tips:
- Find out if you love. Unfortunately, it is often mixed up with infatuation. Thus, there is a risk to get disappointed. If it’s attraction, you see a person in ideal way. Love is faithful commitment, which stays even after you see all the disadvantages of your beloved.
- Love your partner. Such an easy thing is frequently missed. Stop criticizing, accept a person as s/he is. Forgive the mistakes.
- Stay honest. Share all troubles and worries. Never lie.
- Win your partner’s heart once again. Remember that nice feeling and try to recreate it.
- Love the whole person. Even if people change, you must understand them. Appreciate all the valuable qualities.
- Change yourself. Try it instead of changing your beloved.
- Respect and appreciate each other like friends. When there is conflict – do not ignore and try to settle everything down.
- Take care of yourself. It will show that it does matter what your other half thinks of you.
- Develop loving behavior. Be caring and tender.
- Avoid abuses. It may spoil everything and, besides, doesn’t help to build strong and lasting relations.
Love is different. It has many faces, but it is still beautiful. Everyone needs it. However, you must get ready for both happiness and pain. You should sacrifice, understand and forgive. This feeling demands hardworking. Nevertheless, it is absolutely worth it.
READ ALSO: Five Unbelievable Myths About Love.