Is it late to get married being old? Or elderly people have their right to love and be happy? Read the article to know about the oldest couples.
Today we see plenty of old couples, who seem so cute to us. Each of them has their story. There are those, who have been married for many years. However, it is an often case that aged people make a decision to get married. It might look strange for the younger generation, but we need to look closer to understand them.
The oldest couples in the world
There are lots of people, who have managed to live long life together. They are quite old, but still have that romanticism in their relations. The most famous ones are:
- Duranord and Jeanne Veillard. It is unbelievable but they got married 83 years ago in 1932. And they are still together, loving each other. They met on Haiti and later moved to the US, where they live now. The couple has five children.
- Karam and Kartari Chand. They are probably the oldest married couple in the whole world. They got married in 1925. This year they are going to celebrate their 91st anniversary. Mr. Chand is 110, while his wife is 103. Those people beat previous Guinness World Records holders, H. and Z. Fisher.
- George Kirby and Doreen Luckie. They are the oldest newlyweds, as they got married at the age of 103 and 91 respectively. The man is considered to be the oldest groom in the UK. Their combined age beat the world record set in 2013.
- Bill and Flo Griffiths. They became husband and wife this year, being 90 and 96-year-old. This legendary ceremony was broadcasted all over the world, including Japan and Australia. Flo is sure you are never too old for a marriage.
Reasons to get married after 50
It is wrong to think that the life is already over, when you get aged. Some people are still active enough and ready to start a new life. Besides, everyone has a right to be happy. Thus, let’s observe the reasons and find out, why such marriage is a good idea:
- Love. This is the key cause for the majority of marriages. Old people did not lose the ability to love and to care of someone else. In fact, they even need it!
- Cost of living. Well, this is a kind of materialistic reason, but it is a wonderful opportunity to save money. You can at least spend it on something else, such as, for instance, travelling, which many elderly people do.
- Social security. If you are married, you will have some benefits after the death of your beloved. Practical, but reasonable.
- Spousal rights. There are privileges, which are available only for people, who are officially married. For example, you can see each other in the hospital or attend some special places together. Another great advantage is that you will never feel lonely.
The oldest bride and groom in Nigeria
There is great number of elderly newlyweds all over the world. Nigeria is not an exception. Talking about the oldest couple there, we should call Dikam Garba Dabo’ok and Ka’a Nafung. They have been living together for 70 years and only last year they decided to renew their marriage. In 2015, being 107 and 95-year-old, the man and woman repeated their vows in the church.
The ceremony took place in Plateau State at the Church of Christ. They became the first such couple in the town of Chizu (Bwai), who wedded in church. That’s why it was a new page in the history of the community. They had an amazing reception party, where they told their story. There were significant guests there as well, such as local government chairman and a chairman of PCC Kabwir.
- READ ALSO: Who is the oldest person in Africa