This is not about me (an atheists) gloating that I am smarter. I am Just trying to state what I now feel.
I'm really interested in the views of agnostics and atheists here who once had faith and believed in the religion they were brought up in but have since converted to atheism or agnosticism. I just want to know how that change has affected your over all attitude towards life and your world view in general and your level of intelligence by intelligence i mean your capability of thought processes, thirst for knowledge, and actual knowledge of things. I say this because It is hard to separate out intellectual growth that would have occurred naturally with the passage of time and experiences regardless of faith and religion.
When I look back on my religious days I feel acutely aware of the stupidity of some of the stuff I entertained in my mind and accepted. Some of it is quite embarrassing to me I must say. Had I not broken free, I feel there are so many questions and angles of thought I would have denied myself.
If I were a Theist
1. I would have believed and held deeply unto answers given to me by someone else and accept them as the facts.
2. I will be homophobic.
3. I would have been judgmental and disrespectful towards others by looking down on them just because they do not share my beliefs.
4. I would have been very superstitious and believe in things that do not agree with the reality I see around me.
5. I would be less curious about the origins of the universe and life - certainly less open-minded to new ideas and avenues of speculation. Because back in the days I was less curious and accepted everything I was told and the god did it mantra seems to explain away everything even though the god did it answer sometimes did not explain anything to me personally.
6. I would have been somewhat anti-science - let's face it, it's a war of considerable animosity even if some scientists somehow are able to compartmentalize their religion and their work
7. I would have been depending on prayers to help me out when in need or in trouble.
Now that I am a firm atheist, and very confident in my atheism, I now know more about and think more than ever about:
1. Human morality and how it is constantly evolving.
2. Human beings who happen to be born in other parts of the world and which I used to consider the wrong parts of the planet.
3. All religions and their social and societal impact and how they affect people.
4. The bible and the Koran(their origins and how they were written and put together)
5. Conservation and sustainability of planet earth.
6. Different cultures and different people and how the try to function as a unit.
7. I am now loving myself and my own intellectual growth.
8. The origins of religions(Islam and Christianity) I was brought up in.
I want to know how your atheism has affected your world view and changed you as a person. . . .so my atheist friends I will like you come come and contribute to this thread. . . .Thank you. . . .