There are several scientific reasons for the prohibition of consumption of intoxicants i.e. alcohol. It is an undeniable fact that, millions of people die every year only because of intake of alcohol. I don't need to go into the details of all the ill-effects of alcohol since most of them are commonly known. Below is a simple list of few of the alcohol related illnesses:
1. Liver Cirrhosis: Cirrhosis of Liver is the most well known alcohol associated disease.
2. Chest infections: Chest infections are notorious in alcoholics. For example, Pneumonia, Lung Abscess, Emphysema and Pulmonary Tuberculosis are all common in alcoholics.
3. Skin Diseases: Skin Diseases are also related to alcohol indulgence.
4. Endocrine Disorders: Numerous Endocrine Disorders have been associated with alcoholism ranging from Myxodema to Hyperthyroidism and Florid Cushing Syndrome.
5. Thrombocytopenia and other platelet abnormalities are not rare in alcoholics.
6. Esophagitis, Gastritis, Pancreatitis and Hepatitis are linked with alcohol consumption.
7. Cardiomyopathy, Hypertension, Coronary Atherosclerosis, Angina and Heart Attacks are also linked with heavy alcohol intakes.
8. Peripheral Neuropathy, Cortical Atrophy, Cerebellar Atrophy are well-known syndromes caused by alcohol consumption.
9.Recurrent infection is very common among chronic alcoholics. The resistance to disease and the immunological defense system are compromised by alcohol intake.
10. The ill-effects of alcohol consumption on women deserves special mention. Do you know that, females are more vulnerable to alcohol-related Cirrhosis than men. During pregnancy alcohol consumption has a severe detrimental effect on the foetus. Foetal Alcohol Syndrome is being recognised more and more in the medical profession.