Are you a footbal fan? Find out where you can watch this UEFA 2016 Ukraine vs Northern Ireland match!
The really exciting football event that we were all waiting for is finally taking place in France. UEFA Euro 2016 is a very important event where the best football teams compete with each other.
Ukraine and Northern Ireland are playing 16 June. Let’s find out more about these teams and the predictions about the match.
Both of them belong to the Group C.
Ukrainian national team
The team is under control of the Football Federation of Ukraine. It was named as a National Team only after it separated from the Soviet Union.
Their first match as an independent team was played 24 years ago against Hungary. In general, the team is strong. Their fist great matches were those that led the Ukrainian team to the quarter finals in a WC ten years ago. It was a great success for the footballers.
After that they were also a part of Euro 2012. It was actually held in Ukraine and that is the reason why they participated even without additional competitions. However, now they are also participating in Euro 2016.
During the matches with the other countries to get the right to go to France they took the third place. Therefore, right now they are playing together with the other European countries.
They already had a match with Germany, but the score was 0:2.
GOALKEEPER 1 Denys BOYKO
GOALKEEPER 12 Andriy PYATOV
GOALKEEPER 23 Mykyta SHEVCHENKO
DEFENDER 2 Bohdan BUTKO
DEFENDER 3 Yevhen KHACHERIDI
DEFENDER 5 Olexandr KUCHER
DEFENDER 13 Vyacheslav SHEVCHUK
DEFENDER 17 Artem FEDETSKIY
DEFENDER 20 Yaroslav RAKITSKIY
MIDFIELD 4 Anatoliy TYMOSHCHUK
MIDFIELD 6 Taras STEPANENKO
MIDFIELD 7 Andriy YARMOLENKO
MIDFIELD 9 Viktor KOVALENKO
MIDFIELD 10 Yevhen KONOPLYANKA
MIDFIELD 14 Ruslan ROTAN
MIDFIELD 16 Serhiy SYDORCHUK.
MIDFIELD 18 Serhiy RYBALKA
MIDFIELD 19 Denys GARMASH
MIDFIELD 21 Olexandr ZINCHENKO
MIDFIELD 22 Olexandr KARAVAEV
FORWARD 8 Roman ZOZULYA
FORWARD 11 Yevhen SELEZNYOV
FORWARD 15 Pylyp BUDKIVSKIY
In 2004 Ukraine got the new coach. His name was Oleh Blokhin. Many people doubted that he could be a good coach because he made a lot of mistakes while being a coach for the other Ukrainian teams.
However, he was actually a very experienced coach. Under his control Ukrainian national team scored 1-1 against Georgia in the FIFA World Cup about 10 years ago. It was a great win for the team.
That year they were a part of the Group H. Their opponents were Spain, Saudi Arabia and Tunisia. All of those teams are strong. So Ukraine lost after Spanish footballers scored four goals.
But they didn’t give up and won the other two matched against the other opponents.
But eventually they lost as they had to play against Italy.
UEFA Euro 2012
2012 was the first year when Ukraine participated in European Championship. At first they had to play with Sweden and their famous footballer Shevchenko scored goals and led Ukraine to winning 2-1.
However, they lost in the other two matches.
The national team of Northern Ireland has a long history. It existed from the 19th century. It is supported by the Irish Football Association.
Therefore, Ireland has two separate teams. And at first the teams were called just Ireland. But about 40 years ago the names changes to the Northern. The Football Association of Ireland supports both teams.
Even though Northern Ireland is now part of the United Kingdom, it still always had a separate football team. In addition to this, for every kind of sport they would always send different athletes to compete.
That’s quite understandable as they always wanted to be independent and to have their own separate culture and national pride.
The national team of Northern Ireland has played 3 times in the World Cup. In 20th century they even got really high results. But Euro 2016 is a very huge event for the team as they haven’t competed in anything serious like that for a while.
The team of Northern Island
GOALKEEPER 1 Michael MCGOVERN
GOALKEEPER 12 Roy CARROLL
GOALKEEPER 23 Alan MANNUS
DEFENDER 2 Conor MCLAUGHLIN
DEFENDER 4 Gareth MCAULEY
DEFENDER 5 Jonny EVANS
DEFENDER 6 Chris BAIRD
DEFENDER 15 Luke MCCULLOUGH
DEFENDER 17 Paddy MCNAIR
DEFENDER 18 Aaron HUGHES
DEFENDER 20 Craig CATHCART
DEFENDER 22 Lee HODSON
MIDFIELD 3 Shane FERGUSON
MIDFIELD 8 Steven DAVIS
MIDFIELD 13 Corry EVANS
MIDFIELD 14 Stuart DALLAS
MIDFIELD 16 Oliver NORWOOD
MIDFIELD 19 Jamie WARD
MIDFIELD 21 Josh MAGENNIS
FORWARD 7 Niall MCGINN
FORWARD 9 Will GRIGG
FORWARD 10 Kyle LAFFERTY
FORWARD 11 Conor WASHINGTON
Most of the people bet on Ukraine to win (about 56%). The other 44% thinks that Northern Ireland has more chances to win.
However, we will find out who the winner is only on the 16th of June. If you don’t know where to watch the livestream, check out these websites: