Wish to sing like a celeb? Find out about the best techmiques used to make your voice stronger and nice, when speaking or singing.
There are lots of people with wonderful voices in Nigeria and in the world. Some of them are professionals, while others are just amateurs. Plenty of us are eager to know how to have a good voice, how to train it in order to make it beautiful to sing or at least to have special intonation.
Before moving on to certain methods, it’s better to understand the term. Voice training, also known as voice therapy, is a complex of special techniques used in the speech disorders management or for improvement of human voice for singing or for achieving a specific intonation.
Reasons to start
There may be plenty of reasons to take up voice training. Their list includes the following:
- To control the voice. It’s useful for everyone, who has to speak in front of the group of people. Exercises may help to make the speech more effective
- To sound more engaging. When people hear too quiet and monotone voice, they stop listening. To make them interested, you should sound enthusiastic and energetic, make special emphasis where necessary, thus, you’ll get all the attention.
- To apply full capacity of the voice. Your own voice may surprise you. It has the power to influence the audience in a positive way.
- To develop full potential. Training will help to create your vocal strength, and to discover your “true” voice.
- To sing well. This is probably the most common reason. Many people adore singing. And to do it better, training is necessary. All the things listed above might be also of use.
Voice training techniques
If you want to know how to train a good voice, you should familiarize yourself with the special methods. They include:
- Warm-ups. Humming is very effective technique for this. This technique is necessary to prepare your vocal cords for work. You may sing, for instance, 8 notes in a musical scale differently (making them long and short). It’s essential to sing at natural pitch and volume. Another warm-up method is called “siren”. Sing one sound over and over.
- Tone and breath control. Choose one note, which's easy and natural to reach. Begin singing a sound at a soft and low volume in a single breath. Then, gradually build it up until you achieve your maximum. After that, again revert to the original one.
- Sing while doing something. It’s more effective when a person is doing anything he/she likes. Sing anywhere you want, as quiet or as loud as you like. You can use karaoke discs or any files from the Internet as well.
- Listen to other people's voices. It’s useful to do it, and then analyze why they are good, and what makes their voices sound beautifully.
- Try to make the voice sweet, distorted, rough, angry, childish, stupid, etc. The more emotions you're able to express, the better your voice becomes.
- Extend the singing range. ‘Gi’ vocal exercise is very useful (such syllable helps to reach higher registers). You should hit the top note of each key at least three times before coming back to lower ones in the scale.
- Develop your Vibrato. It’s an advanced technique. It's usually connected with how a person produces rapid pitch variations in their voice while sustaining one note. Try to locate the area between the lowest ribs of your chest in the centre of your torso. It's a soft and vulnerable body area, which affects the breathing stability. Then, using “Ah” vowel, press this area.
- Sustain your voice. Use “Eh” vowel for such exercise. Make certain your voice's stable when you sustain the long note. Move gradually from note to note with the smooth tone (five of them are enough). It should be performed in one breath.
- Develop a smooth voice. It means no obvious breaks as you move from low to middle and high notes and then back down. Five notes are enough again.
- Vocal flexibility. Any exercises with many pitch jumps might be applicable for improving it.
Interesting and useful exercises
To understand better how to train your voice, we offer several exercises:
Glides. You should blow air through a small stirring straw while making glides up and down through the singing range. It helps to reduce puffiness.
Lip trills. Blow air through your closed and relaxed lips. They should start trilling. It helps to maintain cord closure.
Creaky Doors. Make a little sound, resembling a creaky door. Then do a scale using little air. Thus, you can build coordination to maintain necessary cord closure.
Ngs. Try making “ng” sound. It provides backpressure and makes the transition between lower – upper registers easier.
Hooty gees. Pronounce the word “gee” with dopey cartoon voice. You must feel the larynx drop. Gradually it’s possible to shift to a more natural voice.
Nasty nays. Say the word “nay” on a bratty or Wicked Witch–type sound. This and the previous exercise might help to reach upper registers easily.
Coo Coos. The coo may sound hooty, like an owl, for additional ease in reaching high notes.
Googs and Mums. Maintain the vowel of “goog” in upper register. The vowel and consonant of the word “mum” provide less help, which makes it a more advanced exercise.
Aahs. It’s for lower register. Do this in 5-tone scale, using little air.
Ooh-Oh-Uh-Ahs. It is useful for balance resonance. Thus, the more closed vowel will help to get into the upper registers. Gradually open to the wider one while keeping the resonance in the same place. If your tone gets strained, come back to the narrower vowel to make the voice balanced.
There are several tips, which will teach you how to have a good singing voice. You’ll see the following among them:
- Record your voice. It’s very good advice. Thus, you may discover any problems or defects. It’s effective, because it also allows listening to your own singing as the other people hear it (or close to it). When we sing, we hear it differently, inside our head. Besides, try to use various intonations and emotions while recording.
- Practice regularly. Constant training makes it easier to reach your purpose.
- Edit out parts of recording. Thus, you can learn what sounds good in the recording.
- Get ready for a long process. It may take time; first, you must know everything about your voice and its potential.
- Keep your throat clear. It’s better not to consume lots of dairy products. Instead of them, drink water with the half of a lemon to clear your phlegm.
- Quit eating late. It can lead to acid reflux, and finally affect vocal cords.
- Don't smoke. Your lungs need to be healthy for proper and successful training.
Now you understand how to have a good voice. Try to keep to the advice and tips listed above to reach stated goals.
Voice training's a very useful thing in our everyday life. It's good not only for the purpose of singing, but also for making your speech more colorful, expressive and interesting.
READ ALSO: Top 10 Fuji musician in Nigeria.
Some people have good voices from birth. However, this fact doesn’t obligatory mean the others cannot achieve it. Good training can help you. The only thing you should do is to hold on to effective advice. Work hard, keep your lungs and vocal cords in good condition, and you’ll be surprised how your voice can change for the better!